Partially OT: Microsoft(?) Spelling Checker Anti Machinist Bias

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lakeside53 View Post
    ...... As for technical dictionaries, they abound... buy one or add your own words.
    I just add them. I don't expect to find technical words in standard spell-checking intended for for nail-filing, gum-chewing secretaries.

And apparently not in whatever the newspaper folks use.... they need a context sensitive spelling and grammar checker, because they commonly use the wrong one of two words that sound the same. But then they could use some general knowledge as well, since thet commonly do things like associate the word "toxic" with any acid, even vinegar (if you call it "acetic acid").

its all from folks being so dissociated from basics, that they just don't know much about stuff they use every day, so they do not need the words to describe it. And so, no need to clutter up a spell checker with them.
    CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

I had a geology professor, Prof Leith, who insisted essays be properly written. He handed out notes at the beginning of the course listing commonly misused words and grammatical errors. His view was that learning to communicate was part of an education. Understanding for example that exotic meant foreign didn't explain the nature of basalt, but you'd better learn it if you wanted an "A". It helped prepare kids to enter the world as somewhat literate beings, something you'd think should be an objective of schooling.

If only more educators at all levels lived up to that responsibility.
      Last edited by Mcgyver; 03-09-2019, 08:57 AM.
      in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post
        If only more educators at all levels lived up to that responsibility.
        "Teachers" canneot teach what "students" do not care about learning. "Teaching" is not like filling sandbags, or bottles.

"Teachers" can only "present" the subject, and provide incentive in the form of grading. After that, it is up to the student to "learn".

In many places, kids who do well are just beaten up after school as "teacher's pets", and "eggheads" who make everyone else look bad. That was true in the 1950s, and still happens.

That said, teachers are also limited by what the prescribed curriculum says they can teach, what they MUST teach, and HOW they do that. There is also the need to prepare students for the evaluation tests that rate the school districts on "student learning", but which measure "learning" in standardized ways that are probably not appropriate.

Education is thoroughly "broken", at least in the US.

Comment

there is an astronomy term that is apparently not used in any other discipline: libration. yup, little red wavy line right there. people will get in your face and follow you around if you use it. spell checkers have never heard of it.

I had a coworker who was attending college who used a shared computer to do her homework. she blithely polluted the spell checker with her own mangling of words, "intergration" was an obsession with her. I just left them in there, hoping her professor would help her out with some red ink.

Comment

Misapplication of the words "me" and "I" will forever leave my nerves in a permanently frayed state.

Example; "Me and my friend brought my mill back."
            Just leave your friend out of it and repeat the sentence.
            Len

Comment

Originally posted by QSIMDO View Post
              Misapplication of the words "me" and "I" will forever leave my nerves in a permanently frayed state.

Example; "Me and my friend brought my mill back."
              Just leave your friend out of it and repeat the sentence.
              You shouldn't leave your friend out, especially after he helped you.

Just say "My friend brought me and my mill back."

Comment

Originally posted by cameron View Post
                You shouldn't leave your friend out, especially after he helped you.

Just say "My friend brought me and my mill back."
                Bah!
                The guy's a bum anyway.
                Don't know why I let him hang around.

Regardless, (not "irregardless") the misuse is rampant in the media, especially television where everyone learns to speak English and proper behavior.
                "Behaviour" in metric.
                Len

Comment

Originally posted by QSIMDO View Post
                  While far from perfect meself , mine is using vintage when you mean old. "For sale vintage Starrett micrometer". What vintage!! 2019, 1925?

The other one is good used as a adverb (its an adjective) such as "it worked good" or "he did good on his test" etc. That one is embarrassing on TV all the time. Mother Theresa worked good, the rest of us have things that worked well.

Grumpy old men cannon fodder for a Saturday afternoon
                  Last edited by Mcgyver; 03-09-2019, 12:52 PM.

Comment

did anyone notice that "tha" and "teh" have almost entirely disappeared?

Comment

Originally posted by AD5MB View Post
                      did anyone notice that "tha" and "teh" have almost entirely disappeared?
                      ...to be replaced with "the" for "they", "them", etc. Also "I" for "it", "is", etc.

Nobody proofreads. I hope they QC their work better than they do their writing.

Apparently a lot of folks think it's really macho to write like a sixth grader.
                      Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware - Tools for People Who Build Things
                      http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Comment

Originally posted by mklotz View Post
                        Nobody proofreads. .
                        Proof reading your own writing is, for me anyway, difficult. I know what I meant to say and that's what I see. One technique is to read from the end, line at a time, up through the piece. It breaks the thought pattern and makes it a lot easier to see mistakes.

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post
                          ... using vintage when you mean old. ...
                          On Craigslist they use vintage when they mean rusty.

Comment

I am blessed (or cursed) by a good ability to proofread, and if I spot an error after posting, I will usually go back and edit it. I have even found occasional errors in books written by famous and highly literate authors. Although I knew only a smattering of Spanish, I have even found an error on a placemat when I was in Mexico. It was "Cuidad" Mexicali, which means "beware of", where it should have been "Ciudad" for "City". But perhaps it was meant to be a warning? I didn't feel unsafe when I walked a few blocks from the hotel to a Chinese restaurant, but the "Zona Roja" near the border is notoriously dangerous. This was around 1993, however, and things may be worse now.
                            http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                            Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                            USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Originally posted by RichR View Post
                              On Craigslist they use vintage when they mean rusty.
                              lol, so true.

Comment

Originally posted by mklotz View Post
                                ...to be replaced with "the" for "they", "them", etc. Also "I" for "it", "is", etc.

Nobody proofreads. I hope they QC their work better than they do their writing.

Apparently a lot of folks think it's really macho to write like a sixth grader.
                                Cold, that is, and a bit nasty and snarky also.

It is very hard to proofread YOUR OWN WRITING. I miss tons of stuff proofing my OWN material. It takes at least a 24 hour wait to get it out of my head so I do not see what I meant, instead of seeing what I wrote.

I can easily proofread anyone else's material.

I believe that is widely known among writers, and is the reason for having someone else proofread your material.

I have turned in a number of articles recently, and using the 24 hour rule (or longer) I could see numerous foulups that I absolutely missed when I read it over right after writing. It is entirely normal, and the nature of a quick response medium such as the forum means that you write it now, or never bother. There is essentially no "wait and edit" time, there is no mechanism for "setting aside" a response unless you write it offline and then copy it in later, which is not really worth doing.

It is simply not worth trying to police the writing of others.

Comment

Working...
                                X