Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How the progress?

Comment

• I've been using the thing. Still have to cut the gear for the power cross feed. I picked up a mill that I've been cleaning up, and am going to make the gear on that at some point. Just have not got around to it.

Comment

• I just bought the Enco version. It’s a 1981 vintage. Looks identical. So I’m just wondering if there are similar issues.

Haven’t wired an outlet for it yet. Damn four wire plugs. My outlet I set it by is 3 wire so I’ll have to sort that out.

It looks like it will need a belt soon. I’m not crazy about removing the spindle so I might just try a link belt.

Another thing that I’m curious about is the right side sight glass is completely black. He left one is clear. Do those two share the same reservoir? Will that sight glass pop out or is it threaded?
        Last edited by fig; 01-19-2020, 10:21 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by fig View Post
          I just bought the Enco version. It’s a 1981 vintage. Looks identical. So I’m just wondering if there are similar issues.

Haven’t wired an outlet for it yet. Damn four wire plugs. My outlet I set it by is 3 wire so I’ll have to sort that out.

It looks like it will need a belt soon. I’m not crazy about removing the spindle so I might just try a link belt.

Another thing that I’m curious about is the right side sight glass is completely black. He left one is clear. Do those two share the same reservoir? Will that sight glass pop out or is it threaded?
          The sight glasses pop out with a little prying. I took a thick long feeler gauge, put in between the seal and the plastic lip, and gently worked around it. The black that was on my sight glasses was grease. The lip on the seals had worn off, it would not hold oil, so the previous owner packed them with grease. Needless to say, the bearings were toast. The spindle is not hard to remove. Take the nut and jam nut off the end, Remove the set screws holding the collars for the pulley and gears, and work it out. You can inspect the bearings, replace the seals (I got mine from The O-Ring Store), etc. Your bearings may be fine. If not, I got the sizes I need from Misumi in P5 for $150. Took about 2 weeks to come. They run smooth as silk. Unless the guy you got it from was an absolute hack that lacked all common sense, I seriously doubt you will have all the problems I had. Mine isn't common problems, it's abuse that caused it.

I just figured I'd post fixing it because I see a lot of info on resurrecting American iron, but not much on imports. Obviously I'd be making $3 an hour if I were fixing it to sell it, but it's fine for my home shop. Most people like me are not doing production work or making super critical parts, so I'm sure an import would work just fine for them. It's been fun doing it, I've got much better insight on what it takes to rehab a machine, and can factor that into my offer now should I buy another piece of machinery.
          Last edited by junkaddict; 01-19-2020, 11:50 AM.

Comment

• I got it mounted on a stand. It’s a bit too high. I’ll probably be making a new stand in the future.

This lathe has developed a ring when running. It wasn’t there when I ran it at the previous owners place so I don’t know if something happened during the move or something got shifted. It’s kind of annoying. Hope there’s no damage. I noticed when I start the back gear jumps a little. I made sure it is isolated
            You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

• I thought I would finish up this thread. The gear for the power feed. It appeared to be a spur gear cut at an angle. After a couple attempts at this, and shelving that part of the project for a while, I ended up searching and calling around again. Most places I called only do production work. I finally found a guy who owns a shop that pretty much only makes gears. Guy was super cool. I brought him the worm also, and he cut me two helically cut gears to match the worm for $260. So, this thing has come full circle and everything works. While it was a fair amount of labor, it did not break the bank.

Comment

• I like it !

-D
                DZER

Comment

• Hey Junkaddict..I may need a replacement worm gear (19T) as you just described. Who was your 'gear guy' that made them for you? Maybe we could get a joint order together for members with similar machines and do a small production run...let us know. Thanks in advance,
                  Lou O.

Comment

• Hey, Nice job on the reconditioning. If anyone works on these lathes, and wants a manual. They are still available here:

Enco 92020, Busy Bee, REX-CUT DF-1224G, Shenwai 12×24 12×37 12×40 13×40 Metal Lathes Instructions and Parts Manual

-Matt

Comment

• You should be quietly proud of yourself, now to cut some metal.
                      I particularly like it as the emphasis was on the mechanical refurbishment first, rather than a paint job.

You should look into fitting the telescopic spring leadscrew covers, I did for the museum's lathe and the leadscrew is always lovely and clean.
                      Last edited by old mart; 08-01-2021, 10:31 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X