Froged in Fire - The Kid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post
    Of course contestants sign legal agreements, crew as well.
    How many viewers saw what you saw, wouldn't there be some cry of foul? What season and episode?

I don't have a dog in the fight. The show is several notches above OCC and Sears America's best Handyman (whatever the name was)/ In the end, it's about entertainment and in this case a little about thinking on your feet, overcoming obstacles, pushing your skills, not being afraid to look foolish in front of a hundred thousand viewers.
    Now seriously, how the hell would I know how many saw, or noticed, that? And of those who may have, how many would go to the trouble of contacting and making a fuss with the producers/network/directv/etc. I sure wouldn't, especially over some such concocted "competition, that doesn't matter in the least anyway.
    And even if a few did, how would we learn of it?
    "THIS IS CNN ...we have Wolf Blitzer with breaking news about unfair competition on the popular Forged in Fire knife making show. Come in Wolf... "

Oh, as to the season and episode, I have no idea really, but it was probably at least a couple of years ago that I saw that. But with so many reruns, I'd hate to try to guess when that particular show first aired.
    Last edited by lynnl; 03-09-2019, 05:33 PM.
    Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

I have watched the FIF program for several years and really like it. You have to remember that for the 1hour show there are at least 20 minutes of commercials and ten minutes of BS so we don't get to see everything and they have to eliminate half of the contestants. I guess what I am trying to get at is I like that they show what Can be done and the different processes used to make a knife. beats the heck out of CNN.

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
      Oregon Coast

Comment

My wife and i enjoy watching FiF and find its got a very small amount of drama compared to most other shows on tv. Shes a Civil Engineer, but doesn't know much about the mechanical or materials stuff. She has learned a little from the show, and it makes it easier for me to relate what i do when we chat about it.

I have also noticed the blades going sideways and "slapping the pig" a few times. We have watched some in slow motion and i don't believe that, at least the majority, is purposely done. It looks more like it is caused by handle design or blade balance, resulting in the whole knife/sword turning in the hand, which could be a good reason for someone to fail the challenge.

Comment

Originally posted by lynnl View Post
          Now seriously, how the hell would I know how many saw, or noticed, that? And of those who may have, how many would go to the trouble of contacting and making a fuss with the producers/network/directv/etc. I sure wouldn't, especially over some such concocted "competition, that doesn't matter in the least anyway.
          And even if a few did, how would we learn of it?
          Internet posting is a strange thing, thoughts get twisted when turned into text.

Of course, I didn't think you knew how many other people noticed.
          I meant, if others noticed, a few would comment on the show's/network's internet page.

I worked with a woman who watched NBC a lot. At home she had a snack table with a stack of pre-addressed postcards.
          Whenever she saw something that she disagreed with, she'd dash off a complaint.

Comment

I watched it a few times when it first began, and enjoyed seeing how they did the Damascus blades. Interest quickly faded when the bs trials began and I quit watching. TV in general is a time waster. My cable/internet bill is rapidly approaching $200 per month and I am seriously considering dropping it and going back to DSL, and off the air TV. Then the inaccurate weather reporting will be limited to 4 channels.
            To top it all off, OCC is back. Sheesh!
            “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

My Kids are 22, and they never had TV.. we did have peasant TV , till they were maybe 3.
              We have TV sets and use them to watch movies and now Netflix..
              They never really complained, they do watch it sometimes if they visit somewhere.
              Maybe I am part Amish or Hutterite ?

I do work/hang out part time at a buddies body shop, and TV is on in the office all the time.. so I have gotten to see FIF, last few months.. and American Pickers... 2 people I know were visited on that show....
              And see a few others. .Rust Valley Restorations is filmed about5 miles from here.

Comment

Originally posted by old mart View Post
                It's such a shame that artificial drama has to be invented by the film director in many of these shows, it appeals to some, but I just see through their added fiction.
                Yup. For this reason I watch much more youtube than anything on TV.

Now if David Attenborough & BBC makes "Froged(sic) on fire" I'm in.

Comment

Is this the kid you are talking about. https://www.kscbnews.net/elkhart-nat...orged-in-fire/ I heard about him, he live 60 miles or so from me. We cut the cord on the TV so I guess we wont see it.

Comment

Originally posted by true temper View Post
                    Is this the kid you are talking about. https://www.kscbnews.net/elkhart-nat...orged-in-fire/ I heard about him, he live 60 miles or so from me. We cut the cord on the TV so I guess we wont see it.
                    Looks like him.
                    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

Working...
                    X