New to me doall.. questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to me doall.. questions

Did hasty wire job on it and it seems to work more or less well. I need to familiarize myself with the hydraulic feed, but at quick glance all seems good.

Looks like the original guides were replaced with some bearing guides from this outfit: https://www.carterproducts.com/band-...and-saw-guides. It came with a good supply of the inserts for the old original guides and 4 other deals I have no idea what they are for (see picture).. right angles. For feeding by hand? Sacrificial inserts that fit into a larger feeding apparatus?

Also, it's got about half of the contour servo apparatus.. nothing after the 90 degree bend at back of table. Not sure if it's worth cobbling together. Need to make a hand feeder/work holder though.

Carter is probably the best supplier of aftermarket bandsaw guides & parts. Refitted my 1950 Cresent Heavy 20 with ball bearing guides from Carter. Gave me good advise on the phone, saw long out of production no drawings had to fabricate the mounting hardware with tips they gave me.

Have any guide issues give them a call.

Boats

Comment

Nobody knows what those right angle parts are in second pic?

Comment

I've seen them before, but I can't recall where. My brain tickle is saying some sort of corner clamp, but it's often wrong long before it's right.

Comment

My DoAll was missing all the extra goodies when I got it. No idea on the angle pieces.

Comment

Originally posted by ncjeeper View Post
            My DoAll was missing all the extra goodies when I got it. No idea on the angle pieces.
            Lol... not goodies until I figure what they are for! As of now they are good paperweights.

Comment

Originally posted by softtail View Post
              Nobody knows what those right angle parts are in second pic?
              Could they be bench dogs?

-js
              There are no stupid questions. But there are lots of stupid answers. This is the internet.

Comment

Could be.. can't see how they would interface with bench. There are a few saw blade hits on them perpendicular to the right angle, so they probably laid flat on the table. The little nipple on the outer corner is odd... maybe you put them on four corners of a large square/rectangular price that was too big for other holding methods and wrapped the chain around them poking that nipple through the chain? All their other chain/cog systems are much more robust though..

Comment

Maybe they are for the auto feed , to get a grip on a corner of the part being cut
                  My neighbours diary says I have boundary issues

Comment

Have you downloaded the manual for your machine at the DoAll website? If you call they are very helpful as well. Be sure you are sitting down if you ask for prices on parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Yow Ling View Post
                      Maybe they are for the auto feed , to get a grip on a corner of the part being cut
                      That would be my guess too. I have a DoAll metalmaster circa 1940 and it has a boomerang shaped piece with notches that is used with the power feel, it pushes either from a corner or a side, pulled with a weight activated cable system.

Comment

Those right angle thingies are the actual
                        hardened insert that goes into the cast body
                        of the blade guide. I have a 1957 16” DoAll.
                        Look at my horrible video here called:
                        DoAll Blade Guide Modifications

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RSFRhQAm4dU

Sorry, I was half asleep when I read the post, Not sure what the
                        right angle thingies are.
                        Last edited by hammernanvil; 03-09-2019, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post
                          Have you downloaded the manual for your machine at the DoAll website? If you call they are very helpful as well. Be sure you are sitting down if you ask for prices on parts.
                          At first glance, looks like a parts manual is all that's available for my machine. I need to figure out a saw that is close enough and get the operators manual for that.

Comment

Just found a vintage Doall picture and they do indeed go on corners of large stock.. like a big square for instance, and the chain wraps around them.

Comment

Working...
                            X