Moving Bridgeport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving Bridgeport

Wondering if a Bridgeport mill can be moved in a Chevy 1500 pickup?

Originally posted by BobinOK View Post
    Wondering if a Bridgeport mill can be moved in a Chevy 1500 pickup?
    Piece by piece, yes......weight even on the small round ram I have is 1800 total.....Pete

Comment

My first bridgeport came home in the back of my Dodge Ram 2500 without any problems. Not sure about a Chev 1500 but should be ok.

Comment

I would put it on a low trailer. Machine tools are top heavy. That's a lot of weight sitting up high in a pickup bed. If you tie it down good and take a corner a little too fast, you might crash the mill and the truck.
        Kansas City area

Comment

I hauled my 2500 lb turret lathe 375 miles on my 76 F 150... no problem if a scale does not stop you..
          A few 4000 lb machines 250 miles on my 74 Chev 3/4 ton..

Comment

I moved a wells index with .48 inch table. first I took off the top ram with head. put it on a skid. then cranked the knee down put on pipe and rolled it out on a flat bed trailer. did all this by myself. the trick is keep the weight as low as you can. a k1500 sets too high to move that much weight.

Comment

Depends on how far you are going, and the road conditions.

100 miles on smooth pavement- no problem

100 miles rough dirt road - no way

1000 miles on smooth pavement - iffy. How long does an overloaded axle last?

For across town I have grossly overloaded a 1/2 ton pu. Drove slow and very carefully.

Bolting the mill to a pallet will help with stability. Heavy tiedowns to prevent sliding as well as tilt/tip are needed.

Mike

Comment

I moved mine using a drop deck trailer from Sun Belt Rental. Moved it onto the trailer using skates. Jacked it up and replaced the skates with 4x4s. Put skates back under it at the destination and rolled it off. Same deal with a 4500 lb. lathe.

Comment

Use a trailer, or if it's not far make two trips. I weighed them when I had my BP apart and the 42" table was 205 lbs and the step pulley head 210 lbs. Not sure about the ram but that would be another 200 ish piece.

Steve

Comment

In short, Yes ....if you have decent tires
                    Mike in post # 7 nailed it.
                    I have moved 4 times since I got my Bridgeport, and have moved several other Bridgeports ( 1800-2,000 ) as well.
                    Also moved a Tree mill (2100-2200) and a Milwright (1650 ?) in my Ford half tons ( F 100 and F 150) during that time.
                    I can load and unload a Bridgeport by myself without any help and only using a come allong and no crane or hoist. ( more later)
                    Make absolutely sure the Bridgeport is as far forward in the bed and also rotate the head so the motor is upside down and the knee lowered all the way, then a few wood blocks and raise the knee as little as possible so the blocks support the spindle motor.
                    In maybe 20 to 30 such moves ( upto 80 miles ) I only had one problem. I was moving a Brown and Sharp Surface grinder (1900#~)
                    on the back of a F 100 and had it only over the rear axle as I was moving it 15 miles. I made a sharp left turn and blew out the leaf spring on the right side.
                    I was able to limp along back to the shop and luckily the main leaf did not break. If I had it forward and not been driving aggressively, i would have been fine.
                    One more hint -go buy a good forged USA made EYE BOLT with 1/2-13 threads . BP's have a tapped hole on the top of the ram for it. You can use it and the column for tieing down ,with the eye bolt the most effective way. They are rated at about 2,000 # and while I have raised BP's with it, i don't recommend it.
                    Do not use the hand wheels for tie downs, if you must , used a locked bolt ( or eye bolt) in the table T slots and lock the table clamps down.
                    Rich
                    Green Bay, WI

Comment

The problem with standard pickups no the matter the size is there aren't good tie points for something that tall and heavy. I'd put it on a trailer.
                      Mike
                      Central Ohio, USA

Comment

Put the knee down as far as it will go then run the table back as far it will go. Loosen the tilt and flip the head over then retighten. Lift by the ram. (Make sure it's tight.)

I took mine apart to move it since all I had was an engine lift to load it on a trailer. The knee alone weighs about 700 pounds.

Comment

I do not like trailers and the only damaged BP I have seen was a trailer job
                          My friend would not allow me to help move his bridgeport and insisted it be loaded on a trailer and use his pickup.
                          Well as he was unloading, He moved the BP to the back of the trailer and was setting up to roll it down a ramp (yikes !) when
                          the trailer hitch ball clamp failed (!) and the tongue went up and the BP went down and flipped over on the concrete driveway.
                          Scratch one BP ! Cracked the headstock casting ...So be careful !
                          Trailer hitches are use to being pushed down--not strong with vertical lifting loads IMHO
                          Rich
                          Last edited by Rich Carlstedt; 03-08-2019, 08:29 PM.
                          Green Bay, WI

Comment

Your friend sure has bad luck. What are the odds of some dummy not having the right size ball for a trailer or having a junk trailer.

Comment

Ken , He called me when the mill was on the ground and the trailer was borrowed from another guy..maybe it was the ball ?? I think you may be right.

Here is a explanation somewhat of the tool (cart ) i use in a earlier posting:

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thr...ing+bridgeport

Rich

I should add that the lifting eyethread may have been changed in size or with clones. My 1962 Ram is 1/2-13 and the later BPs in the 70.s had the same
                              Green Bay, WI

Comment

Working...
                              X