machine vise article in march/april issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• machine vise article in march/april issue

Just curious has anyone else here besides me i.d. what this machine vice came off of?

Sorry, no idea but it's a nice idea for a feature.

So you've ID'd it? Is this a contest? Is there a prize? When are you going to let us in on the secret?
    "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

March/April issue of what?

I don't see a machine vise article in Home Shop Machinist
      in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Michael

I think he's referring to the article on p. 67 "Old Retired Shop Teacher: ... " It has a T-slot in the movable jaw that add some interesting setup options. It kind of has a T&C grinder quality to me, partly because of size, rotating base and unusual graduating of the knob for the tightening screw but who knows what if anything may have been modified during its lifetime.

Very nice article on the KingWay alternative, by the way. I immediately put it on my "things to make some time soon" list. I've got 3 level vials that need a tool home and this might get that moving.

The late Jim Vargiu had done some clever things with a small level that it seems might well be adaptable to a KingWay type device.

I wish he were still around to discuss it because I've been musing on that micrometer head bit. As the upper part stands on its own, the distance from the pivot point to the micrometer anvil might be considered a sort of sine bar. However, I have reservations about sine functionality in real life situations. It the device is sitting on something else, the sine has to be calculated from the length of the underlying base. However, in use for measuring wear on ways it might be much better as a direct reading device. If you use the bubble movement as a proxy for rise or drop you have to estimate between markings. If you have a micrometer on the level device and start out with the bubble set at "zero" the actual amount of wear ought to be shown at any position by the mic measurement difference to re-establish zero.
        "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post
          March/April issue of what?

I don't see a machine vise article in Home Shop Machinist
          How about a pic for us uninformed folk. More info would sure make life easier...
          Keith

Comment

Originally posted by TGTool View Post
            I think he's referring to the article on p. 67 "Old Retired Shop Teacher: ... " .
            ah, right you are....missed it I guess when I scanned the article titles

Thanks btw re the alignment tool
            in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Well, there may be a copyright problem in posting a photo from the magazine. I am sure that George or the author of the article could post one but if someone scans the magazine page without permission from Village Press, I am pretty sure that would be a copyright violation. The author could post the photo from his own files but he could not give permission to copy it from the magazine.

Originally posted by LKeithR View Post
              How about a pic for us uninformed folk. More info would sure make life easier...
              Paul A.
              SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
              You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
                Well, there may be a copyright problem in posting a photo from the magazine. I am sure that George or the author of the article could post one but if someone scans the magazine page without permission from Village Press, I am pretty sure that would be a copyright violation. The author could post the photo from his own files but he could not give permission to copy it from the magazine.
                I was hoping the OP might pop up with a picture of what he's talking about. Otherwise it's a bit embarrassing to say "just buy the magazine."

Comment

Well I am not sure about posting a picture out of the magazine and also had figured many folks on this forum also subscribe to HSM but as for a hint look up smithy or grizzly 3in1 machine tools.

Comment

Okay, I see the Grizzly Combo Lathe/Mill (they don't call it 3in1) has what amounts to a vise in the compound slide position so that the T-slot in the vise jaw serves as the holder for the lathe QC toolpost, OR could hold a part to be milled in the jaws.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
                      ...Well, there may be a copyright problem in posting a photo from the magazine..
                      I'm sure that posting one picture as an addendum to this post would be considered fair use.
                      Without it this post is mostly wasted time...
                      Keith

Comment

I agree with Keith on fair use. Take a look at https://libguides.mit.edu/usingimages.

Dan L
                        Salem, Oregon

Comment

Originally posted by TGTool View Post
                          Okay, I see the Grizzly Combo Lathe/Mill (they don't call it 3in1) has what amounts to a vise in the compound slide position so that the T-slot in the vise jaw serves as the holder for the lathe QC toolpost, OR could hold a part to be milled in the jaws.
                          Yeah, mine has that T-slot. I use it quite a bit when milling, when I don't want to bother switching vises. It's especially useful when milling the end of something sticking out of the vise and I'm worried about it rocking out of the jaws... because it's a lousy vise.

It's useful enough that I wonder why more vises don't have them.

David...
                          Last edited by fixerdave; 03-10-2019, 04:56 PM. Reason: Someday, maybe when I become an accomplished machinist, I'll learn how to spell 'vise'.
                          http://fixerdave.blogspot.com/

Comment

Here is a photo of the vise being discussed.

We did have several readers write in to let Roger know that the vise is from a 3 in 1 machine, as was pointed out in this thread.

George
                            Traverse City, MI

Comment

thanks George

Comment

Working...
                              X