2 Post or 4 Post Car Hoist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 Post or 4 Post Car Hoist

Neighbor going to get a car / truck hoist.
    Wants to know which is the pros and cons
    of each.
    I've been around a few, but don't know much
    about them.
    Thanks for any help!
    olf20 / Bob

If just for storing vehicles get a 4 post, if it is to work on cars doing anything more than oil changes get a 2 post. Air jacks on a 4 post can help.

Comment

What kind of cement does he have?
      Andy

Comment

Stay away from the cheap made in China ones.

Comment

For home use, what about a pit?
          No room taken up on parking!
          Some disadvantages but worked for me.
          Max.

Comment

Be careful with a pit, as many fumes are heaver then air and can be a danger in a pit that can starve you of oxygen. I have a 4 post and use it for storage and work. It does not have to be bolted to thee floor and I can move it around the shop for the projects need. The 1 question that needs to be asked is how heavy are the vehicles that are going to be lifted? This can determine the lift needed and then the concrete needs to be string enough to support the weight. On a 2 post I have helped a friend cut the floor of his shop and pour footings for the lift and has no problems, he works on doge power wagons and they have some weight. Another to consider is the 4 post that is completely portable as they are 4 separate towers linked together and operate in unison. I think plastikosmd www.plastikosmd.com has one check it out.

TX
            Mr fixit for the family
            Chris

Comment

Floor is 5" and in good shape.
              Thanks for the replies.
              olf20 / Bob

Comment

Check out Garage Journal, tons of posts on lifts: https://www.garagejournal.com/

Comment

Is there fiberglass in the cement? Just plain cement at 5" isn't enough for most 2 posts lifts. If there is fiberglass or rebar in it you might get away with it. Repouring thicker pads is a route some take.

I personally (and a bit bias) like two post lifts. Take up less room and more versatile for working on vehicles.

Like mentioned name brand only.
                  Andy

Comment

They all have their advantages, I bought a 4 post drive-on for the truck shop back in '99. A highly respected name brand, which I won't name. This dude would pick up the biggest truck in the fleet, loaded to the nuts. 60,000 lbs. capacity. We took good care of this, and another one that was a portable 4 unit type. Had the dealer do a yearly inspection. In spite of regular maint. and inspection, this lift came apart about 12 years later. On ME. I was lifting a truck that a driver brought in for a leaking air brake chamber. The procedure was to lift it a little beyond the height you wanted, and then let it down onto the latches so the load wasn't held by the cables and hydraulics. I had it up about 5 feet when the clevis broke off one of the 2 hydraulic cylinders that tightened the cables. It made one helluva crash, I'll tell ya! It only fell to the next safety latch, about 12" or so. Scared the crap outa the driver, who was standing with his back to it when it went. Didn't do a helluva lot for my feeling of well being, either!!

So, here's my advice. Been there, survived a crash, still have a few dark hairs in my head: Don't get a cable lift. Doubly don't get one that uses cylinders PULLING a cable to raise the thing. No matter who makes it. Inspect the thing personally, like your life depends on it; it does depend on it.
                    I cut it off twice; it's still too short
                    Oregon, USA

Comment

two post. I use one every day. everything else has limitations. I'll add, 4 post, any brake or wheel or strut work gets in the way. center post, any clutch or transmission or driveshaft work gets in the way. only use for a 4 post is alignment or storage, and they make alignment harder too. center post drive on works for alignment.
                      Last edited by gambler; 03-09-2019, 10:13 PM.
                      san jose, ca. usa

Comment

I have a 2 post 9000lb lift. Bought it from Direct lift.

Comment

The 2-post and 4-post lifts I know are two different animals completely, but perhaps there's something I'm unaware of.
                          The 2-post lifts the body of the car, on the 4-post the car's resting on the wheels.

I'd go for the 2-post unless you're working with very rusty cars that won't tolerate a body lift, but it needs to be very solidly anchored. 5" concrete is certainly not enough.

Comment

I believe my 2-post MaxJax specified min 4" concrete. It has a 6000 pound capacity.

Ed
                            For just a little more, you can do it yourself!

Comment

I have a Rotary 2 post symmetrical lift and the install instructions call for a min. of 4 1/4" of 3000 lb. concrete.
                              I'll try and include a link to Rotary's installation page for min. sizes.
                              http://www.rotarylift.com/Support/FAQ/

THANX RICH
                              People say I'm getting crankier as I get older. That's not it. I just find I enjoy annoying people a lot more now. Especially younger people!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X