No announcement yet.

2 Post or 4 Post Car Hoist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a 10,000# capacity 2 post lift and like it a lot. It lifts my Duramax Crew cab truck with what ever happens to be in it without any problem. I was at a point that I was starting to farm out a lot of vehicle work. That changed with the new lift about 12 years ago.

Brian
    OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

Originally posted by v860rich View Post
      I have a Rotary 2 post symmetrical lift and the install instructions call for a min. of 4 1/4" of 3000 lb. concrete.
      I'll try and include a link to Rotary's installation page for min. sizes.
      Get answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about our vehicle lifts, wheel service equipment, parts and service.

THANX RICH

Thats new specs to me. When I bought my rotary spoa10 their specs were 6" with reinforcement or something like 8-10" thick pads. That was quite a few years ago too.

One thing to point out. I use my lift for lifting all kinds of heavy stuff in the shop. Either just for working on or loading/unloading as well. Can't do thise stuff with a 4 post.

Personally I would find a 4 post useless. Only thing I consider a 4 post good for is car storage and oil changes. Sorry 4 post guys.
      Andy

Comment

Thanks for the photos!
        olf20 / Bob

Comment

Originally posted by vpt View Post

At least vans have a doghouse to remove to work on the rear of the engine.
          This is the epitome of stupid designs. At least in the inline 6 engine Dodge
          design you don't have to remove the cabin to work on the engine.

-Doozer
          DZER

Comment

Post #17 says it all. Some of these new junks you have to lift the rear body just to change
            a fuel in tank pump. Try and work on a V10 gas job, yep cab off. Ours is 15000# two
            post. I come from "back then" with Joyce air over hydraulics, no good for brake work or
            clutch work really just for oil changes. Then we bought a new contact lift still air/hyd. better,
            but watch out, I remember a 1947 Cadillac Hearse in for maintenance and my foot slipped off
            the control valve, oh boy that thing slammed down and about 100 gals of oil flooded the shop cause the foot valve top blew out. So this new one is a Bendax or something spelled
            like that 15000# two post, no issues .... But then the best of two worlds we have a 15 foot
            6 foot deep pit under this lift. "don't worry" we no longer use droplights any more, all battery
            leds lots of shops blew up with a dropped, drop light in the pit.

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
              At least vans have a doghouse to remove to work on the rear of the engine.
              This is the epitome of stupid designs. At least in the inline 6 engine Dodge
              design you don't have to remove the cabin to work on the engine.

-Doozer

Heres the story. The work I was doing I could have done with the cab on but I would be laying on the motor for hours which hurts. Because I have the lift it is much easier to just pull the 6 bolts, unplug a couple harnesses and hoses, and push the button. Then I can get the work done I wanted to get done plus other work I needed to get done.

Then ironicly, not long after that the trans needed a rebuild so I could have done the exhaust/turbo work then just about as easily when the trans was out.

Andy

Comment

What did you paint the frame of that dude with?

Comment

Originally posted by gzig5 View Post
                  What did you paint the frame of that dude with?
                  por-15/chassis saver. For many years I raved about the stuff. But then I was thoroughly let down by it with one of our other work trucks.

Nothing beats just plain old waste oil treatment once a year or so.
                  Andy

Comment

Working...
                  X