American Lathe in Phoenix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American Lathe in Phoenix

I saw this for sale, and find it quite the interesting lathe. It is not mine, just thought it was cool and might be had for cheap.

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/t...836701022.html

Just the thought of moving that thing.

Comment

Originally posted by junkaddict View Post
      Just the thought of moving that thing.
      Um.... YEAH! LOL.

I struggled with the logistics recently of picking up a 5 ton (10 thousand pounds) CNC mill I was offered FOR FREE a few months ago. All I had to do was come and get it. I'm sure I couldn't even power it as built in my shop, but it was huge. If I could get the axis moving it would have made a heck of a mold maker with a cobbled on a high speed spindle instead of the 25HP spindle it came with. I figured for free it would cost me about $2500 to move it to my shop. No telling what it would cost me to retrofit and/or repair it.
      *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

I have an older version of that lathe in my shop except it has a 6" riser under the headstock.
        Mine was originally line shaft driven with a elect. motor conversion mounted up high like that one. The motor drives a transmission with 2 speeds and neutral. The output of the tranny drops down to one of the headstock pulleys. With the trans in neutral I start the motor with a Phase A Matic and use it as a RPC running the rest of my shop off of it.
        I used it for making stock car wheels and drive shafts.
        It now looks about like the one listed a great big long shelf.

THANX RICH
        People say I'm getting crankier as I get older. That's not it. I just find I enjoy annoying people a lot more now. Especially younger people!!!

Comment

Working...
        X