• Show
Clear All

• DIY EDM -Electrical Discharge Machining

This something I'd like in my shop

https://youtu.be/rpHYBz7ToII

Originally posted by dalesvp View Post

Wasn't there just baxedm advertisement thread like 3 days ago that suddenly disapeared?
    Only really interesting part of the build is the spark generator and that was closed-source commercial product..

Interesting video nonetheless.. guess Ben got spoils of war from baxedm.

Comment

Originally posted by MattiJ View Post
      Wasn't there just baxedm advertisement thread like 3 days ago that suddenly disapeared?
      Only really interesting part of the build is the spark generator and that was closed-source commercial product..

Interesting video nonetheless.. guess Ben got spoils of war from baxedm.
      Yea, Baxedm is promoting his sales all over, youtube, forums, you name it. Its a commercial business and just the power supply is around $3000 . His thread here disappeared with a poke of George B's finger.

Comment

They are definitely buildable!
        I dreamed up a switch mode pulsed current source when I built mine. I mean, why not over the top??? ;-)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

what so special about the spark generator, why so expensive?

I've a sinker type designed by Robert Langlois, many have built them and they work. I believe he did a follow up series on a wire EDM.

Do those sorts of units have some major failing this expensive one makes up for?

Comment

Originally posted by MattiJ View Post
            Yes. George explained he was going to initially allow it but then decided it was nothing but spam and removed it.

And it does seem a little curious that someone who hasn't posted anything here in over a year shows up and posts a one line promotion link, without even revealing what it is.

Comment

The EDM type machine and a Tap Disintegrator are quite technically different, the EDM uses a high DC voltage and precise positioning to maintain an arc, disintegrator typically uses low voltage-high current AC with one method used is a simple 50hz/60hz vibrator type mechanism to chip/arc away at the tap or item to remove.
              Max.
              Last edited by MaxHeadRoom; 03-13-2019, 01:04 PM.

Comment

I built a pulse-type power supply/generator/servo controller designed by Ben Fleming. It looks like it will work as advertised just playing around in open air. I'm still working on the head. The PS build was fun, lots of machining the way I did it.

Comment

My Ben Fleming unit is a valuable tool in my shop.
                  I do admit to using it more often on friends projects that go wrong, but it's fun
                  I built it when his book first came out for $100 as I had some parts in a scrap box
                  Rich

Comment

Originally posted by Rich Carlstedt View Post
                    . . .I built it when his book first came out for $100 as I had some parts in a scrap box
                    Rich
                    You did way better than me! Admittedly, I did make a few changes but I'm already into it $800+. I bought the first book and board, but decided to go for the pulse version. Did you do the original or pulse, and is it working like you thought (hoped) it would?

Comment

I had never heard or thought of a DIY edm device. When I encountered this video I got excited. Sure, yeah, we can build one of those and it would be very useful in my shop. It never occurred to me the guy in the video was marketing anything. My apologies if anyone on here jumped to any erroneous assumptions.

Comment

I had never heard or thought of a DIY edm device. When I encountered this video I got excited. Sure, yeah, we can build one of those and it would be very useful in my shop. It never occurred to me the guy in the video was marketing anything. My apologies if anyone on here jumped to any erroneous assumptions.
                        No problem. You have registered here before youtube was invented so obviously you didn't just register to spam advertisements.
                        And Ben Krasnow (Applied Science) has other really interesting projects even tho this time it seem he is promoting commercial products.

Comment

There have been a few in the HSM in the past. One was fairly simple and easy to build and didn't have complicated electronics and the author showed examples of it going through files with different shapes. I don't remember which issue it was. Maybe someone else does.

Comment

Originally posted by wdtom44 View Post
                            There have been a few in the HSM in the past. One was fairly simple and easy to build and didn't have complicated electronics and the author showed examples of it going through files with different shapes. I don't remember which issue it was. Maybe someone else does.
                            It was before George joined the magazine. A thread was posted and many commented on how dangerous it was electrically. Some proposals were made on improving it, but eventually the thread was locked and then deleted as the editor decided the project should have never published and they did not want to encourage anyone to pursue it further.

Comment

Chip , I built the first unit, in fact I was the first one in the yahoo group to finish Ben's original unit and he was excited to hear my report and comments.
                              Here is a picture of the unit.
                              Notice the Old Volt Meter, WW II surplus. Home made cabinet and old banana connectors and surplus WW II toggle switches. Purchases were a 48 volt transformer, (~$40)a servo motor ( $ 15 eBay) and the Caps and resistors ($30) and some odds and ends like a LED lamp . I used an old PC power supply fan.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...otoFilter=ALL#

Rich

The article that was deleted was based (IMHO) on a design from about 1963 in Popular Science or Mechanics that used 120 Volt Ac as the power source and light bulbs and caps to set up the
                              oscillation circut. I built one to burn out a broken tap and the problem is you need to go up down on the quill to maintain a spark as it is not power feed drive.
                              Took an hour to burn out a 10-32 or so. When i built Ben's unit, I burned a square hole 3/16 " square with brass tubing. used about 6 inches of tube, but went through a 5 /32' thick carbide tool bit in 20 minutes ! so it worked. Recently burned out 3 0-80 taps in a friends project in half and hour total ( He had maybe 80 hours of machining in the part when disaster struck...3 times.. So it works well enough !
                              I did not build the tank,pump and filter system and I usually do small stuff and a bread pan is sufficient , or I build a dam with modelling clay around tough parts.
                              A friend sent a large railroad part 5 x 14 x 2 and wanted a 5-40 burned out. I made a clay like a cup around the hole and it held maybe 3 ounces of fluid...but worked.
                              If you want fancy work like images and special shapes, go for the tank .
                              I talked to a EDM machinist a few years ago and he told me to add a drive to my electrode holder so it turns at about 800 RPM and the work will go even faster..if you are burning out with a round rod.

Comment

Working...
                              X