Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Electronic component availability post got me thinking.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electronic component availability post got me thinking.

While I was reading the electronic component availability thread I remembered I had a stash of electronic stuff stockpiled from the days when I was doing component level repair. I try very hard not to do any board level troubleshooting or repair so these components are just taking up space in my shop (actually only one drawer). There is quite a variety of components so for now photos will have to do. The stash contains (new old stock) resistors, diodes, capacitors, D/A converter, op amps, timers, counters, SCR's, trim pots and a few misc components.

I'd be interested in trading for machine tooling, end mills, gear cutters, gear tooth gauges, NMTB 40 taper tool holders, ID threading bars etc. FYI, I have talked with George about posting trades like this in the past and he doesn't have a problem with it so long as it's a trade. If you are interested PM me and we can go from there.

Ron

I'll see your TTL and raise you dome DTL and RTL.
    Location- Rugby, Warwickshire. UK

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Rand View Post
      I'll see your TTL and raise you dome DTL and RTL.
      Hah! This pack rat has stuff from when the 12AX7 was king. Not to mention a CK722 squirrelled away somewhere....
      "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

Originally posted by mickeyf View Post
        Hah! This pack rat has stuff from when the 12AX7 was king. Not to mention a CK722 squirrelled away somewhere....
        I'll see your Hah! and raise you. HAH!

I've got three or four shelves in an upstairs closet full of tubes. Valves, for the Poms. 12AX7, 5U4, 6146, 4-250A, many more. Firebottles!

In another closet I have my homebrew ham-band amplifier (alas,not fired in anger for 25 years) with an Amperex 8877 (3CX1500A7).

Also have a good-sized Powerstat in the closet.

-js

EDIT: I remember the CK722. Bought one when they first became available (I was 14 or 15 years old). Paid around $5 for it, which was big money for a kid in the '50s.
        Last edited by Jim Stewart; 03-13-2019, 09:30 PM.
        There are no stupid questions. But there are lots of stupid answers. This is the internet.

Comment

Sorry Ron, nothing you'd want.
          At least your stuff is new... I can only add in some 813's, a few boxes of loctal tubes, a few CK6029 miniature tubes from Korean era HT's and a 2C39 or so.
          Still building stuff, but the parts are really getting small these days, not a good mix with 70 year old eyes.
          paul
          ARS W9PCS

Esto Vigilans

Remember, just because you can doesn't mean you should...
          but you may have to

Comment

CK722! I remember them. They were my first transistor too: three of them. My first thought in using them was where do the other three or four wires in the tube circuit go when you use transistors. I mean only three wires vs. 5, 6, or 7 pins on a typical tube. Long time ago.

I may still have one in a scrap bin somewhere. Museum piece.

Ron's collection is nothing. I have shelf after shelf full ranging from tubes to surface mount stuff.

Originally posted by Jim Stewart View Post
            I'll see your Hah! and raise you. HAH!

I've got three or four shelves in an upstairs closet full of tubes. Valves, for the Poms. 12AX7, 5U4, 6146, 4-250A, many more. Firebottles!

In another closet I have my homebrew ham-band amplifier (alas,not fired in anger for 25 years) with an Amperex 8877 (3CX1500A7).

Also have a good-sized Powerstat in the closet.

-js

EDIT: I remember the CK722. Bought one when they first became available (I was 14 or 15 years old). Paid around $5 for it, which was big money for a kid in the '50s.
            Paul A.

Make it fit.
            You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Originally posted by ironmonger View Post
              Sorry Ron, nothing you'd want.
              At least your stuff is new... I can only add in some 813's, a few boxes of loctal tubes, a few CK6029 miniature tubes from Korean era HT's and a 2C39 or so.
              Still building stuff, but the parts are really getting small these days, not a good mix with 70 year old eyes.
              Yeah, I wasn't sure if any one would be interested in this stuff but decided to give it a try. In the last 10 years I've dipped into my stash just once to repair the radio my GMC S15.

Comment

I have so much stuff... even packets of 1000 7812 regulators. Yep... 30 years old but still good. Problem is the knocks at pennies each. I have a ton of 74LSxxxx - same problem. EPROM anyone? lol not sure what happened to the programmer.

Around here we can load up our old but good parts and take them to Vetco to swap for something more useful. Like a roll of heat shrink or wire or... One day I'll do a big clean output, but for now one in a blue moon I need a part. Amazing how the 30 year old Electrolytic caps are still good.

Comment

Originally posted by lakeside53 View Post
                  Amazing how the 30 year old Electrolytic caps are still good.
                  I also have a Collins 51J-4 communications receiver in the closet, haven't turned it on for 25 years. In the mid '50s it was the best receiver in the world with 31 bands of 1 megacycle each, individual divisions of 1 KC. This was before they became Hertzes.

I should get it out and fire it up - but the electrolytics are around 65 years old. If I do fire it up I think I'll bring it up slowly with the Powerstat to reform the caps...

-js
                  There are no stupid questions. But there are lots of stupid answers. This is the internet.

Comment

You guys got me all choked up thinking about Heathkits and Eico scopes and the RCA voltohmist and metal chasiss mount electrolytics in metal cans with up to 4 caps jammed in there. How about the little tubes that had leads and were use for RC . When It comes to Collins, I think of the military R390 that had chain driven tuning of all the coils. What a beast. The 2N35 And 2N109 were not far behind the Ratheon CK722. My first venture into a TV was the old family 12" Philco. You'd find a 5U4 any of those old TVs unless you were smelling the distinct odor of a flamed out selinium rectifier.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Your mention of the R390 brought back memories of the Navy and my days as an ET
                      I got one in the shop one day and the horrendously messy gear and chain system was destroyed and they needed it fixed before the ship left for Vietnam.

Turned out the radioman was changing frequency with a hand drill attached to the shaft for the main tuning knob - never did find out what they did to him
                      Managed to cob something together out of spare parts and an old unit and sent them on their way.

Probably have fifty old 7400 series IC's in boxes. I rounded up all my old tubes and donated them to my Ham Radio club a while back.
                      Guaranteed not to rust, bust, collect dust, bend, chip, crack or peel

Comment

Originally posted by 6PTsocket View Post
                        When It comes to Collins, I think of the military R390 that had chain driven tuning of all the coils. What a beast.
                        Back when I was assisting the California National Guard in keeping the crap electronics we were given (the modern stuff all went to Vietnam) operating, I had the dubious pleasure of trying to make some of the many R390s in the repair pile come back to life.

What a mess to work on - of course, being Collins, the electronics were first class engineering. It was the misbegotten mechanical lashup that was such a headache. The R-392s (compact version for Jeep installations) were worse. Much worse.

Electronically the R390 was similar to my 51J-4.

-js
                        Last edited by Jim Stewart; 03-14-2019, 08:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X