Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3 hour damascus knife.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 3 hour damascus knife.

    I turn youtube on the tv in the mornings while I have my coffee and read the forums. Let the videos just roll. This video came on and was delightful to watch. Plus I was intrigued by his belt grinder. Real big drive wheel and has a brake! Now I am questioning the 6" wheel I ordered again. haha

    I am glad to see some people take the time to document some of these talents/people before they are gone.


    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oU5pEXya-CM
    Andy

  • #2
    Originally posted by vpt View Post
    I turn youtube on the tv in the mornings while I have my coffee and read the forums. Let the videos just roll. This video came on and was delightful to watch. Plus I was intrigued by his belt grinder. Real big drive wheel and has a brake! Now I am questioning the 6" wheel I ordered again. haha

    I am glad to see some people take the time to document some of these talents/people before they are gone.


    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oU5pEXya-CM
    How about contact wheel size?
    https://youtu.be/vKNEM6sdvn4?t=357

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by vpt View Post
      I turn youtube on the tv in the mornings while I have my coffee and read the forums. Let the videos just roll. This video came on and was delightful to watch. Plus I was intrigued by his belt grinder. Real big drive wheel and has a brake! Now I am questioning the 6" wheel I ordered again. haha

      I am glad to see some people take the time to document some of these talents/people before they are gone.


      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oU5pEXya-CM
      Thanks, I love seeing stuff like that. I've got less than zero experience with forging so I'm wondering what he was welding the handle to initially? It looked like a small section of steel cable and it sounded like they said cable but was it really steel cable?

      Edit: I guess so, I just found this but still puzzled why steel cable? Is it just cost effective?

      Last edited by 3 Phase Lightbulb; 03-19-2019, 09:52 AM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post

        Edit: I guess so, I just found this but still puzzled why steel cable? Is it just cost effective?
        Huge time saver compared to the alternative of chopping all those fine strands one by one.
        And it appears that material is decent to good for knife blades, 0.5 to 0.9% carbon.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by MattiJ View Post
          Huge time saver compared to the alternative of chopping all those fine strands one by one.
          And it appears that material is decent to good for knife blades, 0.5 to 0.9% carbon.
          I just figured out they use cable as it sort of mimics the a visual pattern of the ancient blades. I had no idea he was after the same visual pattern/etc...

          Seems kind of strange to me... Personally, it would be like trying to re-create an "orange peel" effect on a poor paint job from the past..

          https://www.instructables.com/id/Cable-Damascus/

          The modern connotation of Damascus steel is different from the original Damascus of the past. Historic Damascus steel referred to as crucible stee,l which had a very high carbon content and had a visible surface pattern because of its crystalline structure.Tthis Damascus steel, or Wootz steel, ended up being called Damascus steel because the crusader,s on their way down to the Holy Lan,d would purchase new blades of this superior steel (superior to medieval European steel) in cities like Damascus. The modern connotation, however, is instead different kinds of steels that have been pattern-welded and that display a similar surface pattern when acid etched. The Damascus you will see made here is is of the latter definition. Cable Damascus is perhaps one of the easiest ways to create Damascus steel with a complex pattern. Unlike other techniques, this method requires no folding and essentially comes in its own ready to forge shape.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
            Thanks, I love seeing stuff like that. I've got less than zero experience with forging so I'm wondering what he was welding the handle to initially? It looked like a small section of steel cable and it sounded like they said cable but was it really steel cable?

            Edit: I guess so, I just found this but still puzzled why steel cable? Is it just cost effective?

            that'd be a great knife for a botanist, the pattern on the blade looks just like a cross section through a plant stem!

            Comment


            • #7
              Tyhanks Andy, good video.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by vpt View Post
                I turn youtube on the tv in the mornings while I have my coffee and read the forums. Let the videos just roll. This video came on and was delightful to watch. Plus I was intrigued by his belt grinder. Real big drive wheel and has a brake! Now I am questioning the 6" wheel I ordered again. haha

                I am glad to see some people take the time to document some of these talents/people before they are gone.


                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oU5pEXya-CM
                That grinder is a Wilton square wheel grinder. It can have a big contact wheel or flat platen (which is what he is using) some other attachments that I don't remember right now.

                Stock, it is really fast and takes a lot of material off fast.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Here's a little cable blade I beat out a few years ago.
                  [IMG][/IMG]

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Paul463,

                    If the knife is made from cable and all the strands are the same composition, then what causes the different colors?

                    i.e., why the stripes?

                    And what is the handle made from?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by paul463 View Post
                      Here's a little cable blade I beat out a few years ago.
                      [IMG][/IMG]
                      That is a very fine looking piece!
                      Andy

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Ironwoodsmith View Post
                        Paul463,

                        If the knife is made from cable and all the strands are the same composition, then what causes the different colors?

                        i.e., why the stripes?

                        And what is the handle made from?
                        I have no idea, I just wanted to try it and that is how it turned out. I made 3 different ones and they all look the same. The cable was a chunk of 3/4" log skidder mainline.

                        The handle is from a burl I sawed off of a dead black ash tree down the road from the house.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by vpt View Post
                          That is a very fine looking piece!
                          Yes indeed it is a beautiful work of art, very nice work Paul!

                          And thank you very much for the video Andy. I'd rater watch this guy any day than forged in fire or whatever it's called. I only watched a half hour of that once, guess I'm not a TV kind of guy.
                          Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                          Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

                          Location: British Columbia

                          Comment


                          • #14


                            I'm craving Liquorice every time I see that.....

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Whats the powder stuff they throw on the hot metal?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X