No announcement yet.

(hard) turning tungsten carbide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could ask for the brand or catalog examples. All I remember is they where Japanese made, as they where the only ones that had that technology. They were even able to do thread milling.

Comment

I can machine tungsten heavy metal, (Densimet) easily with carbide, turning, parting and milling, but that is much softer than carbide.

Comment

I've got four CBN inserts. It was five, but one of them went beyond centre when facing. They don't have a lot of tensile strength .

Apart from stuff like tungsten carbide and hardened steel, they are great for cast iron where some of it has hard spots. Stuff like sash weights or weight lifting weights, where the cast iron was cheap for the weight but needs to be prettied up for a clock pendulum or base for a stand etc.
        Location- Rugby, Warwickshire. UK

Comment

When you went beyond centre, did the cbn tip come unstuck from the insert?

Comment

No, it just crumbled!
            Location- Rugby, Warwickshire. UK

Comment

I must remember not to make the same mistake, it's one of those things you could not anticipate.

Comment

Another thing to watch out for - and I ought to preface it by saying this was a cheap import CBN insert - is not to stop the spindle with the insert in contact with the workpiece. To measure diameter, for example. With the extra heat involved the tip of mine welded to the workpiece (think it was HSS if I remember correctly) and then it fractured when I moved the tool box or started the spindle again - forget which.

Comment

Working...
                X