Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mastercam HLE Edition .. HELP!!

Here's my rant:
    I have a desire & need to learn Mastercam, but they aren't making it easy on me.
    I've tried 4 times now (unsuccessfully) to get the home trial version of Mastercam.
    I went to their website, filled out the form (4 times), and with 3 different Email addresses....
    Nothing!
    I also received a friendly Email from one of their salesmen asking how I'm enjoying the Trial Version.
    (You know, the one I can't get a link to, for installation)
    This was a week ago.
    Finally, (Today) an Email comes thru, with a link to download the trial version. Yippie!!! I think.
    WRONG !!!!
    The link doesn't work! UUggghhh…...
    Horrible, Horrible experience so far. Not happy at all.
    Rant over.
    Does anybody have a link to download the Mastercam HLE edition? I'm at my wit's end.

Never had a need for it with what Fusion360 comes with

Comment

Never had a need for it with what Fusion360 comes with
      I agree (mostly). I have been tinkering with Fusion360 for a while, and I really like it.
      But.... It seems like 90% of Machine Shops out there are stuck on Mastercam as their go-to software.
      I'd like to learn it... IF I can ever get it downloaded.

Comment

99.9% here But by the time you get what you need it makes Solid Works look cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by KiddZimaHater View Post
          I agree (mostly). I have been tinkering with Fusion360 for a while, and I really like it.
          But.... It seems like 90% of Machine Shops out there are stuck on Mastercam as their go-to software.
          I'd like to learn it... IF I can ever get it downloaded.
          Originally posted by lakeside53 View Post
          99.9% here But by the time you get what you need it makes Solid Works look cheap.
          Same with AutoCAD and others. I think that has more to do with businesses not wanting to change their processes on money making jobs midstream than trying newer cheaper, more accessible software that is just as capable. It's a good thing, will keep Fusion360 cheap.

Comment

A friend uses mastercam in his shop, we talked about fusion and he told me he cannot use it in his shop. Reason? Many of his customers specify terms that prohibit anything stored outside his shop, cloud storage being specifically mentioned.

It will be interesting to see how/if autodesk addresses this issue. Its severely limiting their market share potential.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky_NY View Post
              Reason? Many of his customers specify terms that prohibit anything stored outside his shop, cloud storage being specifically mentioned.
              Absolutely. The PC that controls my CNC router is isolated from other computers and the internet. When I turn it on, I just want it to work - always, and the same as always... No surprise updates, limited vectors for malware, etc. Those same connectivity risks apply to data security.

It would not surprise me if autodesk has an in-house solution for larger companies that won't bend to their uh, model.

The other problem with that model, for home use, is extortion in the future. Someday they decide it is going to cost $1000 a year, and because you can't just run the old version offline, there is no recourse.

And speaking of cloud risk, how about backups? A buddy works for a major provider of internet backup services. He reports that they never delete backups, even when the custer terminates. Deleting the wrong data creates too much risk. The cost of keeping it all is lower than the business risk of making a mistake.

If any third party has your data, then there is a serious risk that an employee at that company has your data, or can be paid to get your data.

Comment

Yes, Autodesks in-house solution is called Inventor. Haven't used it, but it's supposed to be just like Solidworks and Fusion360. I don't believe it comes with CAM, which is where MasterCam comes into play?
                I seem to think the paid for subscription of Fusion360 allows for offline work? It's what John uses at NYC-CNC, and he just purchased a 5 axis HAAS machine so you damn well know he has paying customers.

Comment

The gCode created in the CAM workspace of Fusion 360 is not stored in the cloud.

I think most people are overreacting to the possibility of someone hacking the cloud just to steal their design.

Comment

Originally posted by elf View Post
                    The gCode created in the CAM workspace of Fusion 360 is not stored in the cloud.

I think most people are overreacting to the possibility of someone hacking the cloud just to steal their design.
                    Most designs aren't worth crap anyhow...

Comment

Originally posted by elf View Post

Isn't the 3D model more important to a thief than the G code? As I understand it, the G code is much harder to reverse engineer and alter than the files that store the 3d model.

Dan
                      At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

Its nothing to do with possibility of hacking the cloud or the quality of the design. Its all about violating the NDA (non disclosure agreement) that is getting pretty standard on purchase orders now days. A company is not going to risk loosing major customers by switching to Fusion 360. The free version and the paid version of Fusion360 are identical, both rely on the cloud.

The topic has been posted on the Fusion form several times in the past. Autodesks response is always to have the users customer read their privacy and trust statements, they have not even discussed a real fix for the problem, instead they state just how secure cloud storage is and how they "promise" to do their best to keep your data secure.

Comment

Working...
                        X