NZ dump truck ferry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NZ dump truck ferry

A few weeks ago the Waiho River bridge was swept away in a flood. Before the wash-out it was a 26-minute drive on the highway between Franz Joseph Glacier on the north, and Fox Glacier further south. There are no inland detours -- unless you want to count the 16-hour drive which includes going over Haast Pass and Arthur's Pass; nobody would do that and stay sane.

I worked in the Mechanical Section of the NZ Ministry of Works from 1972-78. My colleagues in the Civil Section would have been working overtime to get a Bailey bridge as a temporary solution. MOW no longer exists, so it seems to be taking a little longer now.

Not to worry: Kiwi ingenuity will not be defeated! https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/111...ss-waiho-river
    Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

They are ferrying kids to school across the river with helicopters.

Here's a picture of what they are dealing with : https://www.radionz.co.nz/news/natio...open-in-a-week

Comment

Probably cheaper to ferry the teachers

Comment

yeah, us Kiwi's are pretty resourceful! The Army is assisting in fitting a Bailey Bridge at present, and it should be open for use by Friday!
        ZL1OG:KH0EX

Comment

Originally posted by elf View Post
          Probably cheaper to ferry the teachers
          lol!

Government eh.

Comment

Setup a zipline for the kids. Who wouldn't want to start the school day with a zipline ride.

Comment

Caulk up some of those storage containers and create a floating temporary bridge.
              Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
                Setup a zipline for the kids. Who wouldn't want to start the school day with a zipline ride.
                who wouldn't want to start and end each day with a helicopter ride?

Comment

It's even better than having a pony..

Comment

At about $500 per hour operating costs that is one very expensive ferry to run!

Comment

It has been closed down, alas.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/111...of-safety-risk

Comment

The dump truck looks like it is intended for work in a pit mine. There is a gold mine in the hills between Merrijigs and Reefton -- is that where it came from?
                        Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

I should have read the the article more carefully. It states that the dump truck was shipped down from Greymouth. I did not know that ships still sailed on the West Coast.
                          Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

They don't, apart from the odd fishing boat. It's not uncommon to use the word "shipped" loosely, as a generic term for "transported".

Comment

I thought of highway shipping, but thought it would not be practical. There used to be this road/rail bridge south of Hokitika -- I suppose that has now been replaced. I took this photo in 1975. Trains had the right-of-way.

Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

Working...
                              X