Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How often do you Guys have your Vise on Mill.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How often do you Guys have your Vise on Mill.

Was just curious how often every one has there Milling Vise on your Mill,just about every pic on here there is a Vise on it.My Vise get used very seldom I find it in way for holding larger peices on the table,95% of time mine is off the table.

Nearly 100% of the time. I rarely work big pieces. Everyone's work is different.

Comment

If it fits in the vise I use the vise. I'd say that 85% of the stuff I do uses the vise. But I'd have to say that much of my own work revolves around smaller vise friendly items due to the nature of the majority of my projects.
      Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

I think it's always been 100% for me too... I had to think back to when I machined the neck angle on a minibike I was making as I remember that was a strange setup, but I think I still used the vise in one way or another for the setup..

Comment

Probably 98% of the time. I only remove it if I have to set up my RT or slotted angle plate for something that won't fit in the vise.

JL...................

Comment

Most of the time one of the 100mm Bisons is on the mill. It only takes 30 seconds to remove it, or replace it. Anything else takes much more setting up.

Comment

As others have said, I use the vise 99% of the time. I even have it off set so I don't need to remove it when I need to use the rotary table.

Comment

Mini bike would probably be easier if mounted upside down.
                I have had an Indian frame and Harley frames on my table.
                And bored out a few BobTTach assemblys hanging over the side of table they are around 4 ft long.
                33 inch race care slicks deflated on the rims clamped tobthe table..
                Sometimes a vise, usually offset a bit so I can still put other work or the rotary table on beside the vise.
                Some days you wish you had a second mill.

Comment

You can take it off????????

Comment

And my current Bridgeport is CNC so it's unlikely I'll need to use a rotary table for anything except maybe as a 4th manual axis so even more likely I'll keep at least one vise always on the table.

Comment

Originally posted by ncjeeper View Post
                      As others have said, I use the vise 99% of the time. I even have it off set so I don't need to remove it when I need to use the rotary table.
                      Same.

Comment

Originally posted by 754 View Post
                        Mini bike would probably be easier if mounted upside down.
                        You're probably right... I remember it was a very light cut and more of just a "notching" to recess the neck/head tube at the right angle before I TIG welded in the head tube with support gussets.

Comment

In the past I would say 50/50%. But I just purchased a pair of new milling vises and they can hold work that is twice as big as my previous ones so that may change.
                          Paul A.
                          SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
                          You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

Mines on 99% of the time. I only have a small RT so most of the time I can get it next to the vise even with the vise centered on the table.

Even keyways in long shafts or long parts I will use the vise if I can. I just set blocks up on the table high enough to clear the bottom of the vise and set the part on them and use the vise to hold it. Use some machinist jacks if need be.

Comment

I would have to say 97.5% of the time,,, vise on one side and the RT on the other, they are almost a permanent fixture that's why I LPS-3 them before anchoring them down cuz sometimes they can be there for a half year at a time maybe more...

that's a substantial amount of time esp. when you use mist coolant, it's enough to cause severe rust if you don't use any protection, all's iv ever had was staining...

Comment

Working...
                              X