New chuck for my brdigeport mill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New chuck for my brdigeport mill

I got a 3" chuck off ebay. I am trying for a 1" mill collet. Plan is to build a spindle to mount the chuck on with a 1" arbor.

WIll this work? I have a boxfull of 1" to 1 1/2 mills I bought by the pound. Useless as they are. Will this chuck spin them in my mill?

Weird: you caused this.. telling me I could mill a tubing bender for my press..

------------------
    David Cofer, Of:
    Tunnel Hill, North Georgia

Looks liek I got one, but can't spell it.. HA..

------------------
    David Cofer, Of:

Comment

Try it!Its not like it will be turning fast,just use a cheater to tighten the chuck.
      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

If I am reading this correctly, you are wanting to use a chuck as an end mill holder in a Bridgeport. I, personally would not. A 1" R-8 collet is non-existant. Personally, I would opt for an R-8 endmill holder that will accept a 1" or a 1 1/4" shank (depending upon what shanks you have). They are availiable through MSC for about $60.00. You could try to find them on ebay also. I have used them and like them. Their only downside is that you will loose spindle/table/workpiece clearance. You will loose about 3" plus the endmill itself under the spindle in this case. A lot sturdier set-up than an endmill in a chuck. Probaly a lot safer too.

[This message has been edited by ERBenoit (edited 09-20-2004).]
        Paying Attention Is Not That Expensive.

Comment

what he wants is a Clarkson or Osbourne R8 collet chuck.
          They make some of these that hold milling cutters with a one inch diameter shank and over .
          Been after one of these myself , but have not found one cheep enough yet,second hand .
          I dont want to pay آ£100 pounds plus ..you see.
          all the best..mark

Comment

ERBenoit, 1" R8 collets do exist! I've got one. It's a Hardinge factory 1". I can't say for sure what it would be used for because the 1" diameter is only .250" deep. Certainly not deep enough to hold and use a 1" end mill. It has factory markings on it, so it's not been modified from a smaller collet. Just an FYI. Steve

Comment

Ok, forget availability of them, that isn't the problem. If he could find one,(anyone have one for sale?) Lets look at the other side of it. If I have this point correct, he needs a simple way to hold various endmills, up to 1.25". Those endmill holders are available for sale. (I bought a whole new set off ebay for $99). Now since they extend out past the end of the spindle, your adding quite a mechanical advantage to the end of the endmill by the time you put a full length one into the holder. Adding to the mix is the extra strenght of that endmill, so you get a very powerfull setup. Powerfull in the sense that they can distroy your spindle if you make a mistake.This is the same reason that cutting heads of over 2.5" shouldn't be used on a Bridgeport. I stay at 2" myself.
              I know that some of you will probably disagree with the size of maximun cutter to be used in a bp, but let's leave it up to David to make that final dicision, instead of arguing over that.I just want him to understand that the farther away from the end of the spindle, and the bigger the endmill the more likely he is to tear up his mill. He might get away with it a time or two, but some things are best not to chance.
              David from jax

------------------
              Have gun, will travel.
              A serious accident is one that money can't fix.

Comment

Guys..

My mill has a kwik switch 200 on it.

I have a few collets.. not anything that can hold the 1" and larger mills.

Yes, the further you get from the bearings the more leverage, and wear, and slop..

Thanks.. Been having one of them weeks already here.. Since I didn't get the 1" collet kwik switch collet I probably will back shelf this ideal till later..

David

------------------
                David Cofer, Of:

Comment

I found a 1" collet on EBAY for about $20 this summer as I was in the same situation of getting screwed by the end mills by the pound deal. The seller mostly sells sets but once in a while sells the 1" one seperately.

Comment

The dooms dayers have had their say,now here is mine Just send me an endmill,a drawing of the bend you want and a 2' piece of your favorite tubing(all I got is stainless)and I'll build you one.
                    I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Sounds like a deal to me Weird..

Trying to figure what I can throw in the box to make it worth your while thou.. I'll look around.
                      I sure am shot out today.. moving a 1500lb press t-morrow. Good thing I got a wrecker sitting here.. I love it.. The old brown shop truck is down for the moment. I broke it.

Just what am I going to do with a semi-air foil? It is a big old fiberglass one.. Maybe a ?? we talked of cutting it down and putting it on the front of the trailer..

email me your address.

David

------------------
                      David Cofer, Of:

Comment

At one time since you got your mill, I mentioned knowing someone with about 12 to 15 K-S toolholders. There was a one inch in that bunch. Don't know if they are still available, since it has been that long.
                        David from jax
                        A serious accident is one that money can't fix.

Comment

Sandman...

I have been putting out fires (non literal) since then..
                          I have a rack full of.. *guessing.. about ten holders.. two MT3 holders I would not sell for $300.... I use my machine for a lot of drilling. It is a excellent drill press. I use the same drill with my lathe.

If I can afford them, I'd like to have more.

Wonder if they take lil redheaded girls in trade. (we got two hanging around causing problems) They say they want to tattoo.. I don't know if I can teach them anything. Or my new marriage can stand it. They are young and skinny.

------------------
                          David Cofer, Of:

Comment

Yep 1" end mill holders are plentiful on the bay. Bout 45-60 bucks though. Also there was a ER-40 collet chuck with collets for the Kwik-Switch 200. I also have a 1-1/4" holder for the 200 series. I have about 10 of the 1". They are useful for the da collet extensions and various 1" shank tooling. JRouche

Hmmm, just saw the red-head post, hmmm. Nope, nope, no way she will let me bring home "friends". Always need a new lawn mower and dish washer!

[This message has been edited by JRouche (edited 09-20-2004).]

[This message has been edited by JRouche (edited 09-20-2004).]
                            My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

The old b*S drill press.. I bought a kwik switch spindle off ebay. I was going to install it to the shaft on the press. True it.. and purchase some more tooling in the KW200.. That way I could share the tools and justify it.

Problem.. SPindle is wrong, I noticed this after I posted positive feedback. Instead of notches, it is reversed.. accepts a ring with a notch. I was quite perterbed.. It is sitting. I need to figure out what it is, so I can repost it on ebay and get a dollar or two back.

Mikey says the old B&S drill will hog out 3" holes quite easy. I am still in the cleaning phase of that rebuild thou. Some kinda drill. He talked me into keeping it. The Morse taper adapters are welded into the spindle on it. I have it out and on the mill waiting on me...

------------------
                              David Cofer, Of:

Comment

Working...
                              X