Old Vertical Miller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Vertical Miller

A new acquisition (Hahn & Kolb Variomat Vertical Miller)
    http://www.lathes.co.uk/hahnkolbvariomat/

Looks like a well built production mill. Does it have no Y travel..looks like.

Comment

In this case I'm pretty sure the "Y" is taken care of by the head ram moving in and out.

If I found a that machine in decent enough shape I'd buy it and sell off my low hours Asian import midi knee mill in the blink of an eye. That Variomat has class and interest oozing out of every opening.

Yeah, the table doesn't appear to have a huge amount of X travel and it's not all that large... unless the pictures are way of of scale from the hints of other things. But that's such a cool old machine that what HSM'er couldn't love it?
      Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Looks solid and nice, even if it does not have the tilting table option.

Where is the OP located? North, because there are paper birches in the background, but no snow, so not too far north, maybe..... I thought he was in Estonia or thereabouts. Way north of me, I am on a latitude with Syria.

Keep eye on ball.
        Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
          Looks solid and nice, even if it does not have the tilting table option.

Where is the OP located? North, because there are paper birches in the background, but no snow, so not too far north, maybe..... I thought he was in Estonia or thereabouts. Way north of me, I am on a latitude with Syria.
          I will have to buy a tilting table and a solid vice in future but lets focus first on restoration that i like so much
          The photos are taken in Slovenia.

Comment

Originally posted by BCRider View Post
            In this case I'm pretty sure the "Y" is taken care of by the head ram moving in and out.

If I found a that machine in decent enough shape I'd buy it and sell off my low hours Asian import midi knee mill in the blink of an eye. That Variomat has class and interest oozing out of every opening.

Yeah, the table doesn't appear to have a huge amount of X travel and it's not all that large... unless the pictures are way of of scale from the hints of other things. But that's such a cool old machine that what HSM'er couldn't love it?
            The table is 600 x 250. I was looking for somethig smaller first but than i saw this for a funny price + free delivery 220 km away from my place and i had to take it.

Comment

Horizontal as well by the looks of it. I like it.
              Nev.

Comment

Originally posted by don123 View Post
                I will have to buy a tilting table and a solid vice in future but lets focus first on restoration that i like so much
                The photos are taken in Slovenia.
                Can you still get the tilt table for it? Or do you mean one to go on top of the existing table?

Keep eye on ball.
                Hashim Khan

Comment

Built like a brick ****house, as I would say.
                  Unfortunately, it's not in the lathes UK listing, they would welcome any info and pics you might send.
                  Last edited by old mart; 04-15-2019, 10:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                    Can you still get the tilt table for it? Or do you mean one to go on top of the existing table?
                    Yes i meant one to go on the top but maybe i will buy a tilting vice so i will have 2 in 1.

Comment

Originally posted by old mart View Post
                      Built like a brick ****house, as I would say.
                      Unfortunately, it's not in the lathes UK listing, they would welcome any info and pics you might send.
                      http://www.lathes.co.uk/hahnkolbvariomat/

Comment

It's good to see info on your mill, I just looked for Variomat.

Comment

Originally posted by old mart View Post
                          It's good to see info on your mill, I just looked for Variomat.
                          me to but you need to press Ctrl + F and put in variomat its faster and more affidable

Comment

Even if it did not come with the tilting table brackets that would be something which could be made by yourself. The fact that the table "tray" is able to separate from the table drive is a highly interesting idea.

Plus I love how it could be set up with a long or deep piece clamped to the vertical movable table to do work on an edge or end. For most of us we have to use an angle plate for such things. But an angle plate secured to a horizontal table is not at all the same thing as having a vertical table to work with to hold larger items.

All in all I suspect this will be a case of an older machine which certainly has its own limitations. But at the same time has features that will allow some jobs to be done easily that on something like a Bridgeport would not be so easy.

I'll be looking forward to the restoration and tuneup thread to learn more about this interesting milling machine as your work progresses.
                            Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Yes the design is quite versatile. So many deckel-style mills were made it really says something about the merits of the design.

Comment

Working...
                              X