Automatic Box Machine Co., Tilting machinist table

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Automatic Box Machine Co., Tilting machinist table

Made in Roslindale, Mass. I cannot locate anything about this company. My back is telling me this is Very Heavy. I picked this up at an auction a couple years ago for $100. Cleaned and lubed it up and put some new gray paint on it. It operates very smoothly with that hand crank. A couple of small dings on the surface.

Have any you ever seen one of these? I find no images on a google search, at least under the Auto Box Mach. Co., Inc. Apparently Roslindale is a suburb of Boston, mostly residential now.

Dan L
    Salem, Oregon

Looks like the one I have used at school but it is a Japanese one. I'd have to dig out another pix to remember the Co.

...lew... OH! I found it Yuasa .
    Last edited by Lew Hartswick; 04-15-2019, 10:06 PM.

Comment

I have a "News" made in Japan, fairly similar.

Comment

They're BEAUTIFUL! I wish I had one.

Comment

I've never heard of that company but have seen some of these that are made by a few Chinese co.'s
          I'm sure yours is much better quality than the import ones.
          That company must have had a short life.

JL................

Comment

Originally posted by Peter S View Post
            I have a "News" made in Japan, fairly similar.
            afaik, Yuasa is News, or News became Yuasa.
            in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Universal Vise and Tool, Parma Michigan also made a version of this angle table.
              Nice unit.

-Doozer
              DZER

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
                I've never heard of that company but have seen some of these that are made by a few Chinese co.'s
                I'm sure yours is much better quality than the import ones.
                That company must have had a short life.

JL................
                Yuasa still is in business. http://yuasa-intl.com/yuasa-8/
                Little doubt that the import table is copied from them.

Comment

Originally posted by Danl View Post
                  Made in Roslindale, Mass. I cannot locate anything about this company. ...
                  Try searching for this including the quotes:
                  Code:
                  "u.s. auto box"
                  Among the results were a 1908 Australian journal of patents, a 2007 thread on PM with an identical question, and this 1976 classified listing:
                  SALE AT PUBLIC AUCTION!! Per Order of Board of Directors I MACHINE TOOLS S EQUIPMENT MILLERS GRINDERS PLAKER DRILLS LATHES-GEAR MACHINERY SAWS PRESSES Equipment no longer needed In Itt Boston operation of U.S. Automatic Box Machinery Corp. To be held on the premises i 18 Arboretum Rd.. Roslindale (Boston). Hass. (Off 3899 Washington St., Near Forest Hills) 1 WfiflneSlIaV. JUlV ZfitH MO 3t 1 U A.M. I Inspection: Tuesday, July 27th, 9 A.M. to 4 P.M. I NOTE: This Sale in no way affects the production of 1 I the "BRIGHTWOOD" Box Machine manufactured by 1 I the U.S. Auto. Box Machy. Corp. or service to its customers for parts for this and other machines of its manufacture. TERMS: 25 Deposit cash or certified check I Other terms at sale 1 M JOSEPH FINNClllliE I I 15 Broad St., Boston, Mass. 02109 617-227-1836
                  found here:
                  https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/436266289/

A help wanted listing also turned up, Boston Post Aug. 16, 1918, page 13.

Comment

bt the looks of the name stamping, it was put on by hand. perhaps toolroom made?

Comment

Originally posted by Tungsten dipper View Post
                      They're BEAUTIFUL! I wish I had one.
                      X2 on that I will keep a eye out for one, My Varnamo head does not Nod just 90 deg. Left and right

Comment

We've got a smaller one at work that is handy for some stuff but more often than not a double vise in a vise setup proves more useful though. One can never have too many workholding options when dealing with oddball stuff. I'd love to have one that size and be able to put a vise on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post
                          afaik, Yuasa is News, or News became Yuasa.
                          Mine reads "NEWS" Yamatokoki Mfg Ltd. Tokyo, Japan.

Comment

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post

Yuasa still is in business. http://yuasa-intl.com/yuasa-8/
                            Little doubt that the import table is copied from them.
                            Interesting. The site you quyoted says Yuasa has been manufacturing machining accessories since 1975. If what you are saying is correct, my angle table is less than 45 years old.

Dan
                            Salem, Oregon

Comment

We have an Abwood tilting rotary table that originally had a round top like the standard type of rotary table. I have modified it so a 100mm vise, or a 6" four jaw independent chuck can fit on the top. As it weighs about 80 pounds and is pretty large, I have just bought a little one like this. It only weighs half as much and fits the smaller mill bed better, but not the same quality.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SCT-Adjus...YAAOSw95lbD-P3

Comment

Working...
                              X