Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are Emco Compact 5 plastic gib strips a good item?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are Emco Compact 5 plastic gib strips a good item?

I just bought an EMCO, Compact 5 in virtually new condition.
    I was very surprised to see that the gib strips are made of a fairly hard plastic material.
    On adjusting them I found that the slides needed to be tighter moving than I would like to avoid play.
    Have any of you who have used these machines any comments or suggestions about this rather unusual choice of material.?
    Regards David Powell.

Do you have a build date on your 5? That is surprising to me. I had a brand new/in the box Compact 5 but sold it unused. It seemed a little like a well-made hobby machine.

Comment

I am really not sure about build date.

Originally posted by Ironwoodsmith View Post
      Do you have a build date on your 5? That is surprising to me. I had a brand new/in the box Compact 5 but sold it unused. It seemed a little like a well-made hobby machine.
      The fellow who ( rather sadly because he was downsizing to a condo) sold me the machine did not give me an actual date when he bought it, and I neglected to ask.
      regards David Powell.

Comment

If it makes you feel any better the big Daddy of these machines, the emco maximat high quality v13 also uses plastic gib strips.

Comment

A 13" lathe is not a big daddy lathe.
          Plastic gibs are a joke.
          Tell yourself that they came from the factory that way
          so they must be good. Also tell yourself that you are
          not loosing your hair and your eyesight is getting better.

-Doozer
          DZER

Comment

I suspect that the suitability of the plastic gibs would depend on design and the use of the lathe. If it were in a production shop where it was used by three shifts the plastic may not be viable. If it was used in the tool room or R&D where it was used a few hours a day it might work just fine.

Judging from his strong statement Doozer has probably had more exposure to plastic gibs than the rest of us. But do keep in mind that when a 24 inch swing lathe needs to be rebuilt they often use Moglice to build the ways back up. That tells me some plastics are more viable for a use like this than others.

Dan
            At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

Originally posted by danlb View Post
              I suspect that the suitability of the plastic gibs would depend on design and the use of the lathe. If it were in a production shop where it was used by three shifts the plastic may not be viable. If it was used in the tool room or R&D where it was used a few hours a day it might work just fine.

Judging from his strong statement Doozer has probably had more exposure to plastic gibs than the rest of us. But do keep in mind that when a 24 inch swing lathe needs to be rebuilt they often use Moglice to build the ways back up. That tells me some plastics are more viable for a use like this than others.

Dan
              They work much better now that they are in the proper way and NOT upside down as received., But I still am not totally convinced, however the topslide ( AKA Compound) is an Aluminium casting so perhaps a plastic gib strip there is the best compromise.
              Doozer, I need your advice, what is left of my hair is white, I just had my hearing aids wound up another notch and to top it all off strangers seem to assume my female partner is my daughter, other than setting to and making a new topslide from cast iron and new gibs from steel how to I improve my world?
              regards David Powell.

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
                A 13" lathe is not a big daddy lathe.
                Plastic gibs are a joke.
                Tell yourself that they came from the factory that way
                so they must be good. Also tell yourself that you are
                not loosing your hair and your eyesight is getting better.

-Doozer
                No the emco is no toolroom lathe and is definitely not a rigid lathe. But it is superbly made. It is also the big daddy of all emco lathes as it was the biggest lathe they made and that is what I am referring too. To be honest I was disappointed and suprized when I found the gib plates were plastic.

Comment

Some plastics are harder than brass and the zinc alloys that have been used for changewheels. I'm wondering if a suitable material could in fact be a viable upgrade on some surfaces. Moglice has been mentioned. I think it is available as a strip you apply to a sliding surface. If that had a firm backing plastic like tufnol for a gib would that be so bad?

Comment

Maybe I misunderstood the post and got gib plates and gib strips upmixed.?

Comment

Originally posted by plunger View Post
                      No the emco is no toolroom lathe and is definitely not a rigid lathe. But it is superbly made. It is also the big daddy of all emco lathes as it was the biggest lathe they made and that is what I am referring too. To be honest I was disappointed and suprized when I found the gib plates were plastic.
                      I have an emco lathe and didnt know they were using plastics. And if they are then it was the correct item to use, they make quality lathes.

Were would I find these plastics? Between the ways and carriage surface? Thanks. JR
                      My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

The V10 had them at the back of the carriage to hold it down to the ways. No issues.

Comment

Yes they hold the carriage down. Thats why I got confused. Its the gib plate not a gib strip.

Comment

Working...
                          X