Bearing Pullers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bearing Pullers

Are bearing pullers like this a death kiss for bearings??

It looks like they grab onto the internal ball groove by expanding. Depending on how much force you need to hold and pull the bearing, I can't see it doing the ball groove any good. If your replacing the bearing, not an issue, if your removing it to clean and re-pack it it could be.

JL...............

Last edited by JoeLee; 04-16-2019, 12:33 PM.

I'm trying to find something or come up with a way to pull this armature bearing without pulling through the balls. I have several pullers that will do the job, a couple of the split pullers that go behind the bearing but all pull through the balls as they grab the outer race.
    I was wondering if there is some type of split puller that will contact the inner race rather than the outer race. On this armature there is slightly less than 1/4" between the back of the bearing race and the fins on the armature.

I was thinking something like this style. I came up with a vision in my mind of making something on this order and then I found this, $200 ?? not sure if it will fit behind the bearing or if it will even work.

JL...............
    Last edited by JoeLee; 04-16-2019, 12:40 PM.

Comment

They look to be a good idea for removing the outer ring of angular contact/taper bearings after removing the shaft and the inner ring.
      Location- Rugby, Warwickshire. UK

Comment

Yes, but in my situation where there is 3" of shaft in the way they won't work. I was just curious about those and then decided to add my armature bearing to the post.

JL................

Comment

Can you not use a bearing splitter?

https://www.otctools.com/products/bearing-splitter-1
          Keith

Comment

Originally posted by LKeithR View Post
            Can you not use a bearing splitter?

https://www.otctools.com/products/bearing-splitter-1
            I have one of those but it contacts the outer race. Im thinking of something that will pull against the inner race.

JL......

Comment

bearing removal will almost always damage the bearing to some extent. If you're removing it, you're replacing it. If you want to clean and repack the bearing, you'll have to do it in place. If it feels a little rough, repack. If it feels notchy, replace. If it's easy to get to and no drama if it fails, repack. If it's a PITA to get to and something will blow up, replace. Bearings are super cheap for the most part.

Comment

You remove the old bearings and fit new ones, if you are not a cowboy, that is.

Comment

That bearing shouldn't be on that tight unless there's a burr. Sand the rust off the shaft and file any burs. Then use your puller.

The pullers in your first post are for pulling by the ID. They also require space behind the bearing. The small flange fits behind the bearing ID then it's expanded. Those are typically used on pilot bearings or bearings stuck in a housing when only the ID is accessible.

Comment

Joe, can you (or anyone here) post a link to the source of your first photo? I've never seen an internal puller quite like the one shown on the right hand side of that photo.
                    -Roland
                    -Roland
                    Golf Course Mechanic

Bedminster NJ

Comment

Originally posted by rmcphearson View Post
                      Joe, can you (or anyone here) post a link to the source of your first photo? I've never seen an internal puller quite like the one shown on the right hand side of that photo.
                      -Roland
                      SKF TMIC and SKF TMIP

prepare for sticker shock:
                      https://www.amazon.com/SKF-Skf-Tmip-7-28/dp/B01CKI9Y4M

Comment

how about a little well placed heat to the inner race? Not enough to do damage, but enough so your outside puller gets a some help.

Disregard if you have plastic shields.

Comment

Originally posted by rmcphearson View Post
                          -Roland
                          https://www.google.com/search?q=bear...w=1536&bih=702

About the third row down.

JL...............
                          Last edited by JoeLee; 04-16-2019, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MattiJ View Post
                            SKF TMIC and SKF TMIP

prepare for sticker shock:
                            https://www.amazon.com/SKF-Skf-Tmip-7-28/dp/B01CKI9Y4M
                            I have slide hammers. That would be a last resort to removing a bearing that I wanted to clean and put back in place.

JL..............

Comment

don't be a cowboy.....get new bearings
                              in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Working...
                              X