No announcement yet.

OT; Win7...is this the end, my friend?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT; Win7...is this the end, my friend?

Got a notice from Microsoft this morning to "back up or pack up" but when I went to task scheduler all the files are corrupted and won't
    function.

Error 0x80041321

Any other way to back up to external hard drive or should I go shopping?
    Len

I always used an external drive for local backups I can control. I actually have multiple backups of important stuff in multiple locations. All physically secured. I never understood the massive push for cloud based computing and cloud based storage.

Not sure about the rest of your post. I know I really like W7Pro64 as a machine controller. The granular control of processor usage is pretty nice. I never would have dreamed of running some of the huge code files I run today on the old single processor W98 machines I started with.
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

I have a external drive but it won't function because of the file corruption Error 0x80041321.
      So I can't back up from today to take my up-to-date files to a Win 10 machine.

I do have a backup from about a month ago so could I just use that when I migrate to a Win 10 machine?
      Len

Comment

Have you tried this?

https://social.technet.microsoft.com...orum=w7itproui

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripe View Post
          That's from 2011.
          It's apparently irrelevant at this date.
          Len

Comment

Originally posted by QSIMDO View Post
            That's from 2011.
            It's apparently irrelevant at this date.
            You may be right, but the last comment saying that it worked was from 2017.

Comment

No.
              Win7 is fine for the moment, although the end is nigh!
              If you benefit from the Dunning-Kruger Effect you may not even know it ;-)

Comment

Remove the HDD from the external case and try installing it internally to your motherboard.. Run diagnostics such as seatools on it.

Comment

Skip the windows crap.
                  Make/find/beg/borrow a Linux LiveCD. Image the entire disk (dd) (you will need another disk the same size or larger, ideally connected by SATA or USB3+ or else it will take much longer)
                  Work on file recovery from the image. Quite likely all your files are fine and windows has just windowsed.

You can check (badblocks) and format (mkfs) the original disk at this point, do a clean OS install and copy your FILES back over.

Comment

Have you tried "chkdsk C: /B"? Once you enter the command, Windows will ask you if you want to restart now (the main OS cannot be running with this command - a repair OS is started at the next startup). It is worth a shot.

Comment

I thought there was nothing wrong with XP! I had to put up with W7 at work, when I was working. My wife had to get a new laptop that cam with W10. Not impressed, but she has found how to get away from their over-reach to a degree.

I had a laptop with Ubuntu. There are many things that are doable. If you want to search the web, email, etc. you can get by fine. But if you want to interface with many websites, games, applications, they won't swallow Linux. And if you need support, you don't have a "professional" means of advise and help. You get on a forum and wait for someone to reply, and you have no idea how reputable the advice is.

I'm using a MAC right now, and all I do is what I stated about Linux, but even my limited use, I find where even Apple won't work with some internet software. Just today I wanted to post a picture, on the MAC it's a jpeg. The website wouldn't take it, had to be a jpg. Frustrating.

Comment

Win 8 support is stopping this summer. 8.1 is 2023. https://blogs.windows.com/buildingap...crosoft-store/

Comment

Gaud I love computers, except when they disobey!

Comment

The only problem with computers is that they do EXACTLY what you tell them to do!

Comment

Originally posted by Corbettprime View Post
                              The only problem with computers is that they do EXACTLY what you tell them to do!
                              Until they don't. Like when files get corrupted or hardware decides to glitch.
                              Or when the almighty microsoft forces incompatible 'updates' that don't work, and make it difficult to undo because said update disabled all the user inputs. Of course, the almighty ms never makes a mistake. Arrogant bastards.

Luckily, I finally permanently disabled updates on my win10 tablet, but that was time consuming and difficult, since the almighty doesn't 'allow' it.
                              Last edited by chipmaker4130; 04-20-2019, 11:23 AM.
                              Southwest Utah

Comment

Working...
                              X