Pennsy K4 update, lots of machining

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pennsy K4 update, lots of machining

The progress on the K4 at Steam town is doing pretty well. Heres the page with lots of photos. THey have Ceramic heaters on the boilers to preheat the boiler for welding, and after to normalize the areas, and lots of machining on lathes and mills making parts, pretty neat.
    http://www.trainweb.org/horseshoecurve-nrhs/K4s_p16.htm

BillH, Thanks for the link. The K4 restoration seems to be taking forever. The talented crew at the Cumbres and Toltec Scenic Railroad in Chama New Mexico have done ground up restorations on two Baldwin 2-8-2 locos in the past year and a half and are close to finishing a third.

[This message has been edited by Carl (edited 09-21-2004).]
    THAT OLD GANG 'O MINE

Comment

Last time I was there Carl, they keep taking one step forward, and 5 steps back. As they fix one part, they figure, "You Know, since this loco is all apart, we might as well fix this, and this, and this". It will be a great day when that loco is under steam. It use to run in the 80's, but because of a rather light refurb job, much more damage was caused to the loco in those years. I think one of the wheel castings are cracked, and the smoke box, well, it was so warn out, parts of it were showing light. Smoke box is supposed to be airtight!

Comment

Another example of the pork barrel that is Steamtown. Lets re-create steam era history in a place with no historic significance. Not meant to be a slap at the hard working individuals that are trying to preserve and restore the equipment, but to the politicians and businessmen that profitted by Steamtown's creation.

Comment

Wow... Here I was thinking "What a nice combined effort by volunteers and corporations", and it turns out its another example of my tax dollars.

No offense to the steamers and historians out there, but I'd prefer to know my contributions were going to fight some horrible malady or feeding a homeless vet, or something reasonable instead of re-creating technology at my expense which was already created once.

Comment

I can hardly wait to see the K4 run, I just hope I live that long.
            THAT OLD GANG 'O MINE

Comment

Reggie, you should educate yourself on the matter before comming to conclusions. THe k4 project is not funded AT ALL by steam town, the Horse Shoe Curve museum or what ever is funding it, and thats another reason its taking forever. They are just using the resources at Steam town. Steam town is significant, it is the old enginehouse and yard of the Lackawanna Railroad. The old roundhouses, with new additions, and even an archeaological dig site of very old brick pits from the civil war, where mechanics would get underneath the locomotives for servicing.
              Quite Frankly, I'd rather have my tax money going to steam town than to reduce someones health costs.

Comment

Working...
              X