What did you eat today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dave C View Post
    What?? You only eat once every six months?
    Looks like he only washes the stove every six months....... my old Bridgeport is
    cleaner than that!
    Dave

Comment

Originally posted by darryl View Post
      On the subject of food, I wonder- how many of you grow much of what you eat?
      We have a big garden, I buy my beef from a local farmer 1/2-1/4 at a time(best beef ever...), I alos eat animals that "grow" on my property. This year I want to raise some ducks and rabbits, but I've been saying that for 8 years so.......... All that said, we still buy a lot of food because it's damn near impossible to grow it all on our own.

We've been trying to find a greenhouse that needs to be taken down so we can grow more indoors year round but they aren't as plentiful as they used to be since legalization..... Back when we first moved out to the country in 2010 there were a lot of ads for free greenhouses if you just removed them and we kinda took them for granted. Haven't seen an add like that in years (maybe all the greenhouses are gone ?). I also want a greenhouse to build an aquaponics system. Been toying with the idea of a geodesic dome greenhouse.... So many ideas, so little time.....

And BK burgers are second only to DQ burgers IMO. I don't like flat top, or microwaved burgers (mcd). Homemade burgers are still the best, and the beef we get here is the best I've ever had. Just split on a 1/2 cow with a buddy and we're waiting for the cow to finish right now. I'd like to find somebody like that to get pork from, but the good pig guys around here shut down years ago. Just not profitable. Might have to try raising our own.

Didn't get a deer last year, but still have a roast or 2 in the freezer from the year before. Nice buck Andy, that would be a good size up here. Dad got one about that size the year before last, and it was his personal best. He retired on the spot, his hips are bad and he wanted to leave on a high note We butcher ourselves, and make a lot of sausage. It doesn't last long.

Comment

I like to think of this as summer food.

Comment

Well, if we're showing off - Rib Eye from the grill, Grilled and blackened potatoes, High West Double Rye Whiskey

There were no survivors.
          If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post

We've been trying to find a greenhouse that needs to be taken down so we can grow more indoors year round but they aren't as plentiful as they used to be since legalization..... .
            What are you saying? Were greenhouses previously illegal in Canada?
            Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Originally posted by lynnl View Post
              Kinda, sorta. maybe if you got caught..............
              If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

Comment

I think he's saying the demand went through the roof and they are hard to come by now...

Comment

Ha ha, that made me lol.

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
                  I think he's saying the demand went through the roof and they are hard to come by now...
                  Precisely. People used to give them away, now everybody is trying to get in on the supplemental income game.... The ad's you do see now are for you to remove them AND pay them for the privilege. If there are even any at all. I missed the boat....
                  Last edited by Dan Dubeau; 04-27-2019, 01:38 PM.

Comment

There's allot of people who grow their own food that do like the newer laws because there's a grow shop around every corner now selling all kinds of organic soil, lighting, hydroponics, whatever you can think of and much can be used for regular indoor "crops" although it does create it's own set of problems...

Comment

It's certainly got a lot of new people/new crowd interested in gardening and growing stuff that's for sure lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post

We've been trying to find a greenhouse that needs to be taken down so we can grow more indoors year round but they aren't as plentiful as they used to be since legalization..... Back when we first moved out to the country in 2010 there were a lot of ads for free greenhouses if you just removed them and we kinda took them for granted. Haven't seen an add like that in years (maybe all the greenhouses are gone ?). I also want a greenhouse to build an aquaponics system. Been toying with the idea of a geodesic dome greenhouse.... So many ideas, so little time.....
                        A dome, one of the worst greenhouse ideas ever. Ever notice that greenhouses are oriented the same way? Long walls running along an East to West line? Winter crop production will require supplemental lighting and heating at night, plus bee hives unless you intend to hand pollinate each plant or grow on;y green in the winter.

Greenhouse frames are cheap, it's all the support equipment that adds up.

Comment

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post
                          Winter crop production will require supplemental lighting and heating at night,

I helped my Bro build his - he's something like 8,700 ft in the mountains of colo, no supplemental heating and not sure about lighting although have not heard them mention that,

Cannot tell you how many tons of pea gravel we put into the place, many feet deep with 4" tube running though it everywhere, it gains and stores all summer long and coasts through the winter, there's also some kind of phase change in the humidity levels from when you pump air in and out of the gravel that create a compounded effect - I do not understand it - he's told me about a half dozen times and i still don't get it, needless to say - he engineered the dang thing and they have veggies all year long even in the dark days of winter.

Comment

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post
                            A dome, one of the worst greenhouse ideas ever.
                            I know it's not ideal....I really just want to build a dome

Comment

I like the way he cooked his - or maybe I should say didn't, seer then pull em off, 75 to 90% bloody otherwise you ruined it...

Comment

After I asked the question about greenhouse legality, I realized he was probably referring to marijuana growing. But why so hush-hush? Even all the follow-on comments avoided the use of the word marijuana.
                                Marijuana, marijuna...MARIJUANA!! There, let's get it out in the open!
                                Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Working...
                                X