• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JRouche
    replied
    Originally posted by vpt View Post
    Made bacon today.

Slab-O-Bacon. You really cant go wrong with that even. Heck, Ill eat bacon out of a shoe JR

Leave a comment:

• vpt
    replied
    Made bacon today.

Leave a comment:

• JRouche
    replied
    I do live in the land of great tacos so, taco day.

Might not look like the tacos some folks are used to. Very simple, five ingredients maybe.

The taco is just another type of samich basically. So you really can do them as you like and what is available at the store.

The meat is some pork loin I grilled on the BBQ after marinating in a 15 ingredient Koren style BBQ sauce I made. Gochujang, Korean chili flake, fresh garlic and ginger, red chili flake, fish sauce, soy sauce, onion powder, sugar, kecap manis, mustard, black pepper, toasted sesame oil, liquid smoke and the list goes on. Very yummy.

The other stuff is green. Onion, cilantro, jalapeno and lime juice. So good. And my recipe for the best Margarita.

Enjoy your weekend folks!! JR

Last edited by JRouche; 09-01-2019, 07:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

• JRouche
    replied
    Originally posted by MattiJ View Post
    Salmon soup:

Was delicious after a hike views like this:

Life cant get much better that that. I am jealous of the supreme sea food you guys have up there. JR

Leave a comment:

• MattiJ
    replied
    Salmon soup:

Was delicious after a hike views like this:

Leave a comment:

• JRouche
    replied
    Originally posted by Glug View Post
    Fwiw, the Minion method is where a "maze" or path of fuel is created, often using metal dividers. Or you can put a ring of fuel around the perimeter of a kettle grill. And then, by lighting just the end, it slowly burns along like a snake.
    This! And you can do it with small pieces also. Just make sure the air flow is good. JR

Leave a comment:

• JRouche
    replied
    My Parents tomato plants were producing some great fruit this year so I have been eating tomatoes.

Poor mans BLT. Super fresh and cooling. JR

Leave a comment:

• Dan Dubeau
    replied
    Made schnitzel last night, and did pork chops on the kettle grill tonight. Just a basic kettle on the 3 legged stand, but I'd love to build a nice outdoor kitchen with a built in grill like that one day.

Leave a comment:

• Glug
    replied
    Originally posted by DennisCA View Post
    This is the minion method or something iirc
    Fwiw, the Minion method is where a "maze" or path of fuel is created, often using metal dividers. Or you can put a ring of fuel around the perimeter of a kettle grill. And then, by lighting just the end, it slowly burns along like a snake. It is a way of getting many hours of burn time without needing to re-fuel. It also allows you to give the fire plenty of air and not choke it in an effort to slow it (which can create creosote and bitter flavors).

Food looks great. Did you notice anything from injecting the butt?

Leave a comment:

• JRouche
    replied
    Originally posted by DennisCA View Post
    Last night we grilled a chicken, not sure if this is grilling or BBQ. At any rate it was good for chicken I guess.
    Setting up

Semantics really. I just call it cooking and it looks like you know what you are doing Dennis. Looks good.

And I am glad to see I am not the only one to stuff a kettle grill into the counter top. I did the same thing. I made mine a grill/smoker. I lined the bottom section with fire brick and mortar so I could have a fire box under the kettle, which I cut a 12" dia. hole in the bottom.

Thanks for the pics. JR

Leave a comment:

• Dave C
    replied
    Man oh man that sure does look good.

Leave a comment:

• DennisCA
    replied
    End result

Leave a comment:

• DennisCA
    replied
    Last night we grilled a chicken, not sure if this is grilling or BBQ. At any rate it was good for chicken I guess. Unlike most people I can't stand moist chicken, I like it dry and this was made to other peoples preferences, it's why I seldom eat chicken. But there were a few places it was more to my tastes, and the kids don't like the skin so I get extra of that.

Today I am setting up for some pulled pork and smoked baked beans. I have hardly ever used this injection syringe since I got it so I decided to inject the meat with some apple and lemon juice, see what that does. It's a 1.4 kg or ~3lbs pork butt.

Bacon for the beans

Beans and ingredients, don't really have a recipe other than I use wat less sugar than american recipes seem to.

Ready for the smoker:

Setting up

This is the minion method or something iirc

I think this is enough smoke, two cherry pieces and one hickory.

Just gonna go take out the pork and rub it with spices now.

And on the smoker.

I don't think I ever make pulled pork anymore, or anything on the smoker really, without having beans underneath to catch the drippings.

Leave a comment:

• MattiJ
    replied
    Google for pressure deep fryer if you want complicated.
    (We ”invented” pressure fryer after few beer with friends as most stupid and dangerous cooking appliance only to find out that it actually exist)

Leave a comment:

• Glug
    replied
    My preference for onion rings is light. Light batter, and not much of it, on a small ring - not a hulking chunk of onion. Gaps in the breading are just fine. Love putting them on my burger. Pickled red onions are also a favorite.

Back on fries.. A family member gave me an air fryer. Haven't tried it yet. Seems like a messy hassle but at least it doesn't waste a bunch of oil. I don't mess much with deep frying food. I'd rather smoke meat. I am partial to thin sliced crispy potatoes for breakfast. And especially frying potatoes for hash - with brisket, homemade pastrami, corned beef or pulled pork.

In Northern lower Michigan, Gibby's sets the standard for fries. They're available for a week during Cherry Festival, and also at the Fair. They are very good. It is said the fries go through 6 different imersions of oil, each at a different temp. I do wonder about the logistics of that - the required shuffling of fry baskets. I should probably look in the trailer sometime. I don't doubt there are that many fryers but am skeptical there are that many immersions. I do see the logic of a super hot initial, medium middle temp, and then hot finish to crisp. Here's an article on the process.

https://www.traverseticker.com/news/...ind-the-fryer/

To reach their golden crispness, sliced potatoes go through a seven- or eight-fryer process. All told, it takes six minutes or less to be golden-fried. “They start out cooking really fast, so they don’t get soggy, and then they go in lower temperatures as they go down the line. The last fryer is the hottest because it browns them and crisps them,” Chris Hansen says. Adds Bruce: “We peel our potatoes fresh and we only use good quality vegetable shortening. And we do not cook nothing else in our fryers but potatoes. You get the good flavor.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X