I Wonder What These Pliers Are For?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Wonder What These Pliers Are For?

Found these at an estate sale today, and realized that life without them would be futile. Any ideas what they are for? They are about 7" long, and the radius where the two jaws come together is about 1-1/16".

The marking on the handle is "WT1089".

Thanks!

valve spring compressor???

Comment

Originally posted by Ringo View Post
      valve spring compressor???
      I would think that would be a good way to lose an eye lol but who know's, almost looks like something for either putting a steel lid on something or taking one off ? never seen one have no idea.

has the diameter stamped on the side so apparently there were different size "things" it interacted with...
      Last edited by A.K. Boomer; 04-25-2019, 06:07 PM.

Comment

male sheep de-nutter?

Comment

I've heard it said, that if nobody knows what a tools is actually for it's probably for upholstery lol

Almost looks like it would be good for snapping off a radius corner on a sheet of glass after scoring. but you wouldn't need something that fancy for that. Who knows.

Comment

It appears to have precise sizing marked on it.

My guess is to crimp the edge of sheet metal to make a tin lid or such like.

Comment

Early failed eyelash curler prototype ?

Looks like it's meant to crimp or form an edge judging by the way one jaw is offset.

Comment

They are used for circumcisions. They usually come in a set of small, medium, and large.

Edit to add - obviously I have no idea but they do look quite unique.
                Last edited by Ridgerunner; 04-25-2019, 07:28 PM.

Comment

John, if you would post these photos on the forum "Tool Talk" I'm someone could tell you what are used for. Those guys know more about tools than any one I know.
                  Last edited by lugnut; 04-25-2019, 07:30 PM.

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
                  Oregon Coast

Comment

Clearly for adjusting grostling irons

Keep eye on ball.
                    Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                      Clearly for adjusting grostling irons
                      Oh, I forgot your American grostling irons are all left handed!

Comment

Originally posted by john hobdeclipe View Post

The marking on the handle is "WT1089".

Thanks!
                        The 200 and 202 DIA markings refer to cans of 2" and 2 2/16" in diameter. Although I am in the canning industry, I have never seen pliers like this. It looks to me like they are used for fixing a damaged flange on a can.

Comment

This is for installing/removing Knifter Pin Bushings, it grips them by the flange. Also, it might be possible to compress the disc compensator spring on early Cummins Diesel injector pumps, but if so, only on models before 1939. Cummins improved their disc pump for 1939, eliminating the requirement to shim the disc spring by adding a threaded adjustment.
                          And, now you know!
                          TC, also known as Doctor Diesel

Comment

I do believe it's time for another toddy. Meantime, John, check out MrPete's youtube channel. He's had quite a few what is it? videos. He would be interested no doubt, if you sent him some photos to post.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Edwards View Post
                              The 200 and 202 DIA markings refer to cans of 2" and 2 2/16" in diameter. Although I am in the canning industry, I have never seen pliers like this. It looks to me like they are used for fixing a damaged flange on a can.
                              That's what I was going to suggest, but I couldn't come up with a use for them and I never saw them in any of the can plants I've been in. Maybe a relic of the solder seam days.

I was going to ask if you worked in the Toppenish Silgan plant near Yakima, but it looks like you are a fair piece up the road from there.

Comment

Working...
                              X