Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jaymo
    replied
    Toaster oven, 5 cup coffeemaker, and military surplus potbelly stove(bought from The Sportsman's Guide, IIRC).

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied
    Allow me to direct you to a web site I designed and that I host:

http://www.huntmoose.ca

Leave a comment:

• jim davies
    replied
    Here in BC they have started whacking the antlers off before roasting moose. Smells better and takes up a lot less room. Next up is gutting them...

Leave a comment:

• madman
    replied
    Up here in Northern Ontario that stove wouldnt even be big enough for a big moose roast. But then Canadians are generally larger than most and eat and drink more too. Madman

Leave a comment:

• ibewgypsie
    replied
    I got someone up north checking for wood cook stoves around AMISH country.

I got this basement.. I'd like a cookstove and a heating stove there.

Money for them old "pretty ones" the Ugly ones down here go for more than a thousand.

I think I have not seen a pretty stove since I was young. I remember looking at the cast flowers and vines in it for hours. Putting crayon on it and watching it smoke. (yep that long ago) I remember several of the women having "flower brands" on thier legs. My cousin catching her nightshirt on fire.

------------------
    David Cofer, Of:
    Tunnel Hill, North Georgia

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied
    Biggest downside to wood heat is spiders. They winter under the bark and when you bring the wood in they think it is springtime. I hate going to bed and looking at the ceiling and seeing 6 spiders just above my head.

Leave a comment:

• G.A. Ewen
    replied
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ibewgypsie:

Nice stove.. can you duct that heat into your house?

</font>
    The house has its own wood burning Furnace. I keep a fire going in the shop and the house. I will post some photos of the weather in this part of the country this winter. They will explain a lot to those of you that live in more southern climates.

Leave a comment:

• wierdscience
    replied
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by codyb:
    A cookbook, available through Amazon, that you might enjoy is titled "Maiifold Destiny". Tells how to cook on your car ENGINE! Has tips like vent the can of beans before placing on hot manifold for cooking. Good luck. Cody</font>
    I know five potato's will fit nicely on a Wuahlkesha 140gz manifold,with room to spare for the ribeye's

Leave a comment:

• SJorgensen
    replied
    Hell with that, those old ones are still around and going for scrap. It just takes someone who knows what he wants and has the ability to make it work.

My brother just bought a house that has a wood burning stove in the basement. My brother didn't like it at all and concidered all the wood dirty and very undesirable.

Well last winter we had a HUGE snowstorm that knocked out the power for several days.

He learned something about wood stoves during that time, and he has a new perspective now.

Leave a comment:

• rbregn
    replied
    Why spend that much for a new reproduction, when you can get a real one for around a thousand?

Leave a comment:

• ibewgypsie
    replied
    With the wood cooking stoves going for 5-6,000$ for a new one..

I'd like to look into reproduction of some of the old fancy ones. Hire the casting and just bolt them together and cast the refractory.

Some of the older ones had such fancy floral patterns on them, not sure anyone nowadays could replicate the style.

Nice stove.. can you duct that heat into your house?

------------------
    David Cofer, Of:
    Tunnel Hill, North Georgia

Leave a comment:

• rbregn
    replied
    I have a Monarch Range in my house that I use for supplament heat andcooking on in the winter. Plan on something along the same line in my shop when I finally get it finished.

Leave a comment:

• codyb
    replied
    A cookbook, available through Amazon, that you might enjoy is titled "Maiifold Destiny". Tells how to cook on your car ENGINE! Has tips like vent the can of beans before placing on hot manifold for cooking. Good luck. Cody

Leave a comment:

• SJorgensen
    replied
    I hope the roast didn't taste like paint.

Anyway how are you at ribs, and when can we come over?

Leave a comment:

• G.A. Ewen
    replied
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SJorgensen:

What was your choice of paint on that stove? I'd love to know and also I'd like to know how well it holds up.

</font>
    Tremclad High Temperature Barbeque Paint. I made a good hot fire in the stove last week and so far so good. It smoked a little but didn't change color.
    Yesterday it was cold out so I cooked a roast. After cooking at slow heat for 6 hours you could cut it with a fork.

BTW, wood heat is nothing new to me. I have never heated with anything else. My mother never had an electric range until I was about 10 years old. The only source of heat in my house and shop is wood.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X