Cooking in the shop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooking in the shop

Well I've spent the last week cleaning and rearranging the shop in preparation for winter.
    New to the shop is an old (but in excellent shape) camp cook stove. They were commonly used here in this country in remote mining and logging camps. I intend to not only heat the shop with it, but also cook with it. Chile, pot roast, bread, ect, ect.

Several of my friends have promised to visit more often.

To invent, you need a good imagination - and a pile of junk. Thomas A. Edison

Neat! I love it.

I suggest you install a CO2 detector.

Paul A.
    Paul A.
    SE Texas

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there IS a penalty for trying!

Comment

Nice looking old stove. Any name on it? Wood is the only thing I heat with, love it.
      Michael

Comment

Very tidy!

Now we have one "machining in the kitchen" and another "cooking in the shop". Anyone making chips?

Comment

CSA approved George? What about your insurance?

Oh, be sure to open the windows wide when you fire it up to red heat. But, you knew that. Looks fine.

Say... That compressor could get a bit warm, don'tcha think?

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited 09-16-2004).]
          Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Was thinking of baking some chocolate chip cookies in the heat treat oven---
            I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Bed and breakfast, hot beans, eggs and bacon on hot buuttered toast , for tired travelling workshop enthusiasts???
              That`s one great set up, there will be hundreds more taking form in w/shops all over after seeing your fine example.
              Ken
              Ken.

Comment

That is pretty slick. I haven't seen one since i was a kid visiting relatives in upper MI.

Comment

G.A.;
                  I'll be right up, I like mine over easy...
                  Jim
                  Jim

Comment

Food has a better flavor when cooked over a wood fire. (I got a huge iron pot) I was always passed out when everyone else was eating thou.. (I cooked at the the bike rallies)

Looks good.. Can I come sleep next to it?

Ham hocks and Pinto beans.. cooked all night.. whoo hoo.. Some of my spiced cornbread, my recipe of salsa stirred through it.

------------------
                    David Cofer, Of:
                    Tunnel Hill, North Georgia

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by zl1byz:
                      Very tidy!

Now we have one "machining in the kitchen" and another "cooking in the shop". Anyone making chips?
                      </font>
                      Chips' ? you want chips ?

I've been shovelling all morning still looking for that elusive floor.
                      Yesterday was a hoot, the motor rewinders have a thing called a burn out oven, usually gas fired and they stack all the motors in at night for next days work and switch on.

When they come in the morning all the insulation and shellac has been burnt out the stator so they can rip the old wiring out and start again.

Yesterday they opened to oven up and one motor was cast iron ends but alloy stator housing... oops, correction it had cast ends and the stator laminations were like slices of pineapple, no stator housing.

Of course sods law states this motor is a special, unobtainable and needed two days ago.
                      The laminations were put back, jigged up, re stacked and skimmed on the out side.
                      Then a large piece of 1" thick wall tube was coaxed into looking something like a stator housing.

Why is is that you start off with a piece of 10" tube, 1" thick and 8" long and you manage to full a 45 gallon barrel with chips ??

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Nice stove!
                        Have you moved (should I say stuffed ) the big lathe into the shop yet?

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Evan:
                          CSA approved George? What about your insurance?

Oh, be sure to open the windows wide when you fire it up to red heat. But, you knew that. Looks fine.

Say... That compressor could get a bit warm, don'tcha think?

[This message has been edited by Evan (edited 09-16-2004).]
                          </font>
                          I gave the last insurance guy 30 seconds to get off my property........ haven't seen one since.

The compressor is just siting there untill I get the rest of the shop reorganized.

Comment

Michael,
                            It's a "Woodsman" made by the "Enterprise Foundry Co. Ltd." Sackville NB.

Shaque,
                            Any time you like.

Herb,
                            Waiting for the new crow bar that I ordered.

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by darryl:
                              Was thinking of baking some chocolate chip cookies in the heat treat oven---</font>
                              -The local college machine shop has a "Cookie Day" every year a week before Christmas Break. The teach uses cut-down 5-gal buckets to mix 3 gallons at a time of dough, using the 8HP radial arm drill as a mixer, and all three heat-treat ovens.

I like it because it's "open lab"; I'll come in early and camp one of the big machines, spend the day working on some project or other, and eat all the cookies I can stand.

Doc.
                              Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

Working...
                              X