Machinist squares from China, worst I've ever seen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Machinist squares from China, worst I've ever seen

Ordered a set awhile back and just recently had the opportunity to use them and what a disappointment. It's hard not to order tools from overseas when you're on a budget. I think I got 5 squares in the set with the largest having a 6 or 7 inch blade for something like 40 bucks. Before you guys say it, yes I know you get what you pay for but this poor of quality is unacceptable. Yet I'll keep them and try to make them better or at least more usable.

Amazing! Who was the seller?

Comment

The money you wasted on those could have been put towards something decent. B&S or Starrett used would be just fine.
      I'm sure they are pretty soft too.
      On the bright side..... if you have a surface grinder you can take the curse out of them.

JL................

Comment

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post
        Amazing! Who was the seller?
        I can't remember. maybe ebay, Shars, could even be KBC. I know it wasn't Harbor Freight as I very rarely order from them.

Comment

You show ONLY the sideways error from vertical. While that is certainly a "sign of quality level", it is not the way I use squares. It actually would not have to even affect the usability of the squares, although it might make certain measurements difficult.

What are they like if put edge against edge (facing opposite to each other)? What are they like if put next to one another facing same direction with edges against a flat object that is aligned with one of the edges?

Keep eye on ball.
          Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
            You show ONLY the sideways error from vertical. While that is certainly a "sign of quality level", it is not the way I use squares. It actually would not have to even affect the usability of the squares, although it might make certain measurements difficult.

What are they like if put edge against edge (facing opposite to each other)? What are they like if put next to one another facing same direction with edges against a flat object that is aligned with one of the edges?
            What I showed was the worst of the bunch. None of them are even close to being square in any plane when measured against a Starrett square

Comment

I agree with JT. What you're showing is what I consider to be a "fit and finish" problem, not necessarily a functional problem. I never assume my squares are square in that orientation.

Edit: Just saw your post above. That's a bummer. But hey! Now you have a reason to buy a surface grinder if you don't already have one!

Comment

I have discovered that a great many squares are not square at all. They are mostly L shaped. But groaning aside, of all the squares I own (with the exception of the plastic ones) only two are actually square- and one of those I built myself. The other is a stamped steel woodworking tool with flanged guide edges. It's old, and it beats every other square for being true, except the one I made.

I must have lucked out with my cast iron blocks because they put on a good performance when compared on a surface plate. Those are my standards for the most part.
                I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

If you knew the seller the thing to do would be to raise a stink with them.99% of quality control begins with customer complaints.
                  I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Originally posted by nc5a View Post
                    Ordered a set awhile back and just recently had the opportunity to use them and what a disappointment. It's hard not to order tools from overseas when you're on a budget. .............................]
                    This is why I buy these kinds of things on eBay. If you hunt around you can usually find a really nice example of a quality tool that was US made and either well cared for or barely used.

Have two PowerShot 5700 staple guns, one from the 1990s and one from about 3 years ago when the wife couldn't find it and went out and bought another one. The difference in quality was extremely obvious to even a non-mechanical person. The new Chinese one just broke so I got up on eBay and now own a second one that is identical to my 1990s one except it is in near new condition and for less money than a new one. So, now when my original finally breaks, or she needs to take one to a craft show, I'm still good to go.

Steve
                    Last edited by SteveF; 04-30-2019, 04:11 AM.

Comment

It would if you were checking something cylindrical.

JL...................

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
                        I agreed, it is terrible. Jerry just likes to disagree For sure complain as Weird says its how quality improves, better still name the vendor on social media like here.
                        in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

I couldn't stomach looking at such a piece of garbage. I could make something better on a table saw (maybe not the ground faces of the base - maybe).

I had a bad banggood experience recently. Paypal was also a big PIA to deal with. It will have me sticking close to ebay. I will be making a post with details at some point. There were lessons learned.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post

JL...................
                            Which is what I said... it makes some measurements difficult.

However, that type is really the wrong tool to measure cylinders. All such squares, even if they LOOK decent in thst direction, may be "off" somewhat, and the cylinder should have a "line contact". An angle plate type tool is the item needed.

I totally agree that the squares probably could fairly be said to suck..... but the narrow base of that type square is simply insufficient to guarantee "perfect" squareness.

Yes you should expect better, and I would send them back for a refund, I'd not want replacement. But you should not expect "perfection" in the sidewise direction. That type square is not made for it.

If they were square on their edge, they would still do what you want such a square to do, 90% or more of the time.

Keep eye on ball.
                            Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by Glug View Post
                              I couldn't stomach looking at such a piece of garbage. I could make something better on a table saw (maybe not the ground faces of the base - maybe).

I had a bad banggood experience recently. Paypal was also a big PIA to deal with. It will have me sticking close to ebay. I will be making a post with details at some point. There were lessons learned.
                              Please do, I'm always interested in learning new lessons.

JL....

Comment

Working...
                              X