Craftsman Machinist boxes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Craftsman Machinist boxes.

I got lucky today and scored 2 Craftsman boxes.
    Now I really have not seen many of these in my life, I have one regular Craftsman 9 drawer, blue I think.

The ones I got today are gunmetal grey and in pretty good shape. What was unusual was a top box, 12 drawers and a 3 drawer mid box.. I have never seen a middle one in real life.
    It's the same colour as a regular craftsman box I bought new in the 70,s....gun metal grey.
    How often are the machinist boxes seen ?
    Last edited by 754; 05-02-2019, 11:11 AM.

I have one, appears to be manufactured by Beach in Canada. Its a nice box.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Comment

I've only seen one. A neighbor had one many years ago it was grey.

JL....

Comment

I have 4 Craftsman rollaway cabinets. They are a good bit better than Kennedy. I've had one since before 1980. Still doing fine.
        Kansas City area

Comment

I have 5 Craftsman tool chests in my machine shop and they are decent but the HF US General PRO chests in my R/C shop are surprisingly much better and they cost less IIRC. I'd swap out those 5 craftsman for US general's in a heartbeat.

Comment

Those are mechanics boxes.
            So my post is about the machinist boxes.
            It seems there are 20 Kennedy's to every Craftsman. I have not seen a catalog for a long time, did Craftsman make a roll away for machinists ?
            The top box and mid box stacked are 26.5 high . ....20 Inches wide..
            Last edited by 754; 05-02-2019, 02:13 PM.

Comment

They sold mechanics boxes as 3PL showed, which I use in the shop, so they might count.... they sold portable mechanics boxes, with a top section, and drawers, similar to machinist's boxes, also usable in the shop, and they sold things more like the Kennedy box as well.

Keep eye on ball.
              Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

Comment

Originally posted by 754 View Post
                How often are the machinist boxes seen ?
                I've got one, but it is dark brown, not grey. More or less a knock-off of a Kennedy.

Comment

Originally posted by 754 View Post
                  I got lucky today and scored 2 Craftsman boxes.
                  Now I really have not seen many of these in my life, I have one regular Craftsman 9 drawer, blue I think.
                  And the pics are WHERE?

Comment

Yes, the Craftsman is just like a Kennedy machinist's box
                    here is a shot from my shop, going Left to Right and Top to Bottom
                    Top- Machinist Wall Chart
                    Caliper cases
                    Craftsman Machinist Chest-Brown - 1976
                    WW II Electrical Resistor chest ( Dark Wood) great for very small endmills-1943
                    Maple Machinist chest by Yours truly 2008
                    Craftsman Hang On Chest - larger endmills- 1991
                    Craftsman Mechanics Chest -Gray- with very thin drawers -1991
                    Shop Dehumidifier-brown- 1991

Rich

Last edited by Rich Carlstedt; 05-03-2019, 11:04 AM.
                    Green Bay, WI

Comment

Craftsman used Color at one time for Quality levels
                      Brown was top of the line
                      Dark and Light Gray was next --See my roll-away above with thin red strip
                      Solid gray was lower yet -- See the hang on unit
                      Then they had colors with and without chrome
                      Red with chrome
                      Red- bottom of the line.

I believe that about 1995 they came out with very dark grays and blacks ??
                      Rich
                      Green Bay, WI

Comment

I have a smaller gray one, it's a very nice little box with one engineering flaw, it have a center "buckle" that closes the top lid, this buckle likes to "hang" right in the way of a drawer opening and closing - now you can leave the buckle at a higher level and then it clears but it's a wiggly thing and half the time seeks it's own level (lower)

it's not that big of a deal but does drive me nutz sometimes..

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
                          I have a smaller gray one, it's a very nice little box with one engineering flaw, it have a center "buckle" that closes the top lid, this buckle likes to "hang" right in the way of a drawer opening and closing - now you can leave the buckle at a higher level and then it clears but it's a wiggly thing and half the time seeks it's own level (lower)

it's not that big of a deal but does drive me nutz sometimes..
                          I have several boxes like that where the hasp part of the lock falls down over its companion ring preventing simply lifting the lid without first raising the hasp. A small disk magnet holds it in its raised position and still allows it to be pulled down easily if I want to actually lock the box.
                          Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware - Tools for People Who Build Things
                          http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Comment

that's a damn good idea, thanks.

Comment

I remember lusting after the brown machinist's chests in the Sears catalog every Christmas as a kid. I wound up putting my hard-earned lawn-mowing money towards a red Craftsman mechanic's chest and roll around. It wasn't as nice as the machinist chests but I was damn proud of that box. Still have it!

I've seen one or two brown Craftsman chests at the various machine shops I've been in. They seem to be an exact clone of the older Kennedy chests.

Comment

Working...
                              X