Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: Wondering how long before Firefox fixes ad blockers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Wondering how long before Firefox fixes ad blockers?

NO protection from the onslaught of vendors hawking their wares!
    Apparently a certificate ran out and they won't let you download any add-ons.
    I don't know I just parrot the crap I read.
    Len

It is really an unpleasant experience working without my add-ons. Mozilla: Get your asses in gear!

Comment

In the meantime, you can use this hosts file: https://someonewhocares.org/hosts/
      read and follow the directions carefully for your particular setup. I've been using this for years and it works great, makes web run slick and quick. Doesn't stop everything, but its easy to add or modify stuff.

Comment

IE-11 doesn't need any add-ons. That's why so many sites are blocking IE. You can block a lot more than adds and sites don't like it. They want to "enhance your online experience". I just learned about Co-browse the other day. Many sites are pushing ahead with that with your default agreement. Co-browse lets someone see your screen, forms and all without you knowing or doing anything. As far as I know, it doesn't work with IE--IE just errors the site as unsupported code. I really like IE.

Comment

I was wondering the same thing.............
          One of my local news papers has figured out a way to tell if I'm running an add blocker and won't let me read some of the segments unless I disable it.
          If I disable it I can read the other news segments but I'm so bombarded with adds, and the jumping around of things as these adds find a place to fit in on my screen where they can best annoy me I just close out of it.
          Sounds like it's a game of cat & mouse. Sometimes the cat is slower than the mouse.

JL..............

Comment

Firefox is fixing it. They have a hotfix, but it requires that you enable "studies" in preferences > privacy and security > Firefox data and collection > allow firefox to install and run studies. Leave it enabled long enough for them to push the fixes out. Leave it enabled till noscript and adblock plus are reenabled. That took 2 minutes on mine.

Dan
            At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

In the meantime I am using Opera that has the add-ons I want to use.

Comment

Originally posted by CCWKen View Post
                IE-11 doesn't need any add-ons. That's why so many sites are blocking IE. You can block a lot more than adds and sites don't like it. They want to "enhance your online experience". I just learned about Co-browse the other day. Many sites are pushing ahead with that with your default agreement. Co-browse lets someone see your screen, forms and all without you knowing or doing anything. As far as I know, it doesn't work with IE--IE just errors the site as unsupported code. I really like IE.
                I just opened IE and it said it doesn't support videos.
                Sure enough, went to favorites the was not one link to YouTube.
                What the hell good is that?

How do I find out what version of IE I have?
                Len

Comment

Originally posted by danlb View Post
                  Firefox is fixing it. They have a hotfix, but it requires that you enable "studies" in preferences > privacy and security > Firefox data and collection > allow firefox to install and run studies. Leave it enabled long enough for them to push the fixes out. Leave it enabled till noscript and adblock plus are reenabled. That took 2 minutes on mine.

Dan
                  That selection isn't live.
                  It won't allow me to click on it.

No, wait, I had to click on the whole section.
                  Thanks!

And 5 minutes later it's working!
                  Thanks for the tip!
                  Last edited by QSIMDO; 05-05-2019, 03:00 PM.
                  Len

Comment

Try menu item Help>About.
                    http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                    Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                    USA Maryland 21030

Comment

I view YT videos all the time. I watch Amazon videos all the time. There are numerous settings in IE. You may have to give YT permission to use Flash Player. I have that turned off for all but a few sites. I also have HTML-5 enabled for YT. Amazon just started requiring Microsoft Silverlight for some reason. I haven't looked into that yet. I just downloaded it and ran a video (movie) last night.

To find IE version: Click on Help then click on About Internet Explorer. DO NOT check the box for auto updates if you already have IE-11. M$ will screw you up one side then the other to get you to load Win 10. If you already have Win 10, I think you're out of luck with IE.

Comment

Ghostery isn't screwing around now either.
                        There's several blank spaces now where there was some info before.
                        Do I have to customize Ghostery now or reckon it'll settle down after awhile?
                        Len

Comment

Originally posted by CCWKen View Post
                          I view YT videos all the time. I watch Amazon videos all the time. There are numerous settings in IE. You may have to give YT permission to use Flash Player. I have that turned off for all but a few sites. I also have HTML-5 enabled for YT. Amazon just started requiring Microsoft Silverlight for some reason. I haven't looked into that yet. I just downloaded it and ran a video (movie) last night.

To find IE version: Click on Help then click on About Internet Explorer. DO NOT check the box for auto updates if you already have IE-11. M$ will screw you up one side then the other to get you to load Win 10. If you already have Win 10, I think you're out of luck with IE.
                          No, still with 7.
                          Len

Comment

Dan
                            I did this yesterday and everything fixed itself in about 10 minutes.

Comment

Dan
                              I have the "studies" option enabled permanently and did not realize there was even an issue at all. It has been completely transparent in it's use.
                              Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                              Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Working...
                              X