Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What did you watch today? (favorite youtube channels)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tungsten dipper View Post
    I have to agree with you. What bothers me he has all the best of the tools and then ask for donations. Mean while I'm on a fixed income and use Chinesium tools. I'll be damned if I would donate to him.
    I struggle with that also. The fact of the matter is when YouTube changes from a hobby to an business the channel changes. On ABoms channel between the going full time YouTube, I was hoping he was just starting a job shop back up similar to Fenner, however it does seem like the content has suffered, having trees removed and collecting vices for example

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I watch all the favorites. Mentioned above however I have gotten tired of OX Tool, and beginning to have the same feeling about Abom here lately. I never got into this old Tony just don’t get it.

I like Steve Summers because he does a lot with less, Brian Block is awesome just what he did with the Barn conversion is awesome. Some of his tractor pulling work is equally great.

My self I’m gravitating to smaller hobby channels not the heavyweights just because of what others have mentioned in this thread. You will get responses and just as good ideas as the heavyweight channels.

My self I’m still under the 1k threshold and gaining subscribers slowly. Personally the interaction with the folks who watch my videos is what I enjoy. At this time I’m not sure if I will go the advertising route when eligible unless your up to 5k the money isn’t even worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by jdedmon91 View Post
        I watch all the favorites. Mentioned above however I have gotten tired of OX Tool, and beginning to have the same feeling about Abom here lately. I never got into this old Tony just don’t get it.

I like Steve Summers because he does a lot with less, Brian Block is awesome just what he did with the Barn conversion is awesome. Some of his tractor pulling work is equally great.

My self I’m gravitating to smaller hobby channels not the heavyweights just because of what others have mentioned in this thread. You will get responses and just as good ideas as the heavyweight channels.

My self I’m still under the 1k threshold and gaining subscribers slowly. Personally the interaction with the folks who watch my videos is what I enjoy. At this time I’m not sure if I will go the advertising route when eligible unless your up to 5k the money isn’t even worth it.

I like Old Tony because of his wit. I love Brain and his dog because he's so down to earth and isn't afraid to show his mistakes. Though I wouldn't want to live in his messy house.

Comment

In addition to the mainline machining channels I really got hooked on the Clickspring series on the Antikythera Mechanism, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ML4tw_UzqZE . Nothing I'd ever do but fascinating to see his skills.

lg
          no neat sig line
          near Salem OR

Comment

Originally posted by cfranks View Post
            Stefan Gotteswinter is my first followed closely by Keith Fenner.
            Concur.
            Except the other way round, Fenner first.
            Also agree with others that Abom & Oxtool are running out of stuff to do, and hence not so interesting anymore.

Comment

is the Youtube revenue model based on how long you watch?

The problem with a large number of these videos imo is there is 45 seconds of good content wrapped up in 15 minutes of blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. Mostly I can't be bothered to get though the endless Bob Loblaw part to the content. Clickspring would be a notable exception - if only they all put that sort of effort in.

Perhaps its an unintended consequence of revenue relating to the time the eyeballs on the video.
              in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

This Old Tony for entertainment.
                AvE has been behaving even more drunken lately and I haven't follow him that much.

stefang and Fenner for more serious content. Never been able to stand OX tool (can't stand some of his manners but this is just my personal view.. okayyyy okayyy)

Comment

I think Oxtool has some good content, but since I started noticing every time he goes "umm" I can't watch anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by DennisCA View Post
                    I think Oxtool has some good content, but since I started noticing every time he goes "umm" I can't watch anymore.
                    Not that is easy to make a good video, but I agree. The new "umm" is "go ahead and". It's so hard to listen to.
                    in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

An artist learning how to be a machinist... warts and all

https://www.youtube.com/user/wintergatan2000

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post
                        Not that is easy to make a good video, but I agree. The new "umm" is "go ahead and". It's so hard to listen to.
                        Nick on Nick’s Garage has a bad habit of say “here we go” and explaining that the part goes on a 1970 Challenger RT.....once is enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post
                          is the Youtube revenue model based on how long you watch?

The problem with a large number of these videos imo is there is 45 seconds of good content wrapped up in 15 minutes of blah blah blah
                          It used not to be time related but now with interstitial adverts that might have changed. I recall a figure of 1KGBP per million views being mentioned. Revenue (for youtube) comes from advert displays with each new video so long content reduces the number of videos watched so is actually a negative from their point of view.
                          Definitely agree about the content to blather problem. Often a single still photo of the end product is enough. People who drill ten holes and show every one in real time should be shot. It is a real pain that youtube doesn't have a fast forward like Tivo.
                          Don't see some people's problem with catch phrases as I only put the sound on for music videos.

Comment

Youtube Prime is nice, no adverts, actually allows me to watch Chuckee2009 without getting too annoyed. Abom can talk a lot. Most annoying is when you are searching for a "howto", and all you want are the steps, and are forced to watch 20 minutes of crap.

Comment

Originally posted by Baz View Post
                              It is a real pain that youtube doesn't have a fast forward like Tivo.
                              Right cursor. Or left if you missed something. You can also change the playback speed.

Comment

and you can double tap the left or right side of the screen to go back and forward on a phone.

Comment

Working...
                                X