Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dave C
    replied
    You are right. I should have known better than to use that junk, but it was all I had. I really wanted to use some delrin but my box of plastic drops is stuck behind the mill, and I didn't want to fight with moving that thing again. I've got to come up with a better method for that one.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Yup crappy gummy aluminum.
    Get some 1 inch or 3/4 6061 bar stock....handy to have around.
    K
    Turn od, then knurl, then thread and part off

Leave a comment:

• Dave C
    replied
    Even though the nuts are supposed to be here in a few days, I couldn't resist tying to make one myself, just to see if I still had the knack in me. I used a 1" hole saw to cut these out of a piece of 1/4" thick aluminum angle I found in the scrap pile. No idea what the alloy is.

Looked in dad's Machinery's handbook that's a year younger than me, and found the thread depth of a 32 tpi thread to be .0203". The thread OD is .490, Chucked one disk in the lathe and drilled 29/64 hole, and used a tool that I forgot I had, and found while looking for something to cut the thread with. It's from a mini set that I bought years ago. Those are 1/4" shanks.

The thread turned out kinda rough, but cleaned it up with a dental pick.

I knurled it just for grins, but it didn't turn out the best. I think the stock is some crappy, gummy alloy.

Too big to fit where it goes, so made it square with the minin mill. The corners need to come off too.

It's not pretty, but at least it will do to hold the breaker in place while The servo is wired up and reassembled.

Leave a comment:

replied
    You are what you eat... you walked right into that.l

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Dang-it, wrong kind of nuts....

Leave a comment:

• Dave C
    replied
    Digikey has ordered the parts and they should be here in another week. Had to pony up another $2.76, but they waived the shipping fee. Good thing I have a lot of other work to do to the mill before I'll need the power feed.

Leave a comment:

• wierdscience
    replied
    Originally posted by Dave C View Post
    I hadn't thought of going that route, and may give it a try. My problem was not with single pointing the thread, it was the pita of having to make a tool to cut the thread inside that small hole.
    Do like I have done in the past and use a 10-32 tap for a threading tool.

Leave a comment:

• PStechPaul
    replied
    I found the data sheet for the T11-4 breaker, and it is 1/2"-32:

https://www.alliedelec.com/m/d/a9d21...27f67b9dbf.pdf

Airpax is now Sensata.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Maybe you can cast a nut for it from some quick set plastic ?

Leave a comment:

• mattthemuppet
    replied
    In box is full
    oops, sorry. Checked the ones I have and the only 32tpi one I have is 15/32. Threads ok onto a 15/32-32 Judco switch, has a minor ID of 0.454", so doesn't look like it'll work for you.

Leave a comment:

• MattiJ
    replied
    Originally posted by MrWhoopee View Post
    I have had to make some similarly fine threaded nuts recently. I grabbed a broken tap and ground away all except the first good tooth. It made a great threading tool. Perfect form and much easier than trying to make one from scratch.
    This is what I have also used. Small internal boring bars for holes like under 1/4" are not so well suited for toolbit+setscrew but 1/2" 32tpi thread is already workable size in my books.

Leave a comment:

replied
    I hadn't thought of going that route, and may give it a try. My problem was not with single pointing the thread, it was the pita of having to make a tool to cut the thread inside that small hole.
    1/2 inch is pretty big for a single point, lots of room.
    I have done acme in that diameter, and that is a longer tool, and has to cut an inch or more of thread. more force than a V thread.
    For 1/2 I would make a small boring bar with a hole for small toolbit, held with setscrew, handy for boring anyway.
    Or brass or weld tool on end of bar.
    Another thing is use a 3/8 square hss blank or 5/16. Make sure it can go in an inch.. but it's a lot of grinding.
    And once you have it, you will use it many times.

Leave a comment:

• Dave C
    replied
    Originally posted by mattthemuppet View Post
    I'm pretty sure I should have some of those kicking around. If I do I can put them in an envelope. Send me a PM and I'll check tomorrow when I have a moment (going to what Avengers with the fam in 10min).
    In box is full

Leave a comment:

• Dave C
    replied
    Originally posted by jmm03 View Post
    Dave, in the lamp accessories area of homey depot there should be some hollow threaded rod and nuts that are used to repair or install wall mount light fixtures. I believe they are the same thread. Jim
    BTDT they are smaller. Biggest ones at the hardware stores are 15/32-32.

Leave a comment:

• Dave C
    replied
    Originally posted by 754 View Post
    Some folks will go to a lot of work to avoid grinding a 60 degree cutter.
    Last edited by Dave C; 05-12-2019, 02:19 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X