Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tools you think you would use but don't.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tools you think you would use but don't.

My would be a reciprocating saw, air filtration system (ceiling mount), and a mortiser machine.

Screw drivers with kung-fu grip
    Large guillotines

Comment

biscuit joiner

Comment

I’m rebuilding or fixing up a multico morticer at the moment, what the hell possesed then to use 13/16” dia for the chisel shank I don’t know, perhaps there was 3/16” missing off the end of the designers rule
        As for usefulness we shall see, cheaper than one of those fancy mc fancy festool domino things, wiggly drill as a mate calls them
        I do like the festool track saw, it’s nearly put the table saw out to pasture, not quite but nearly.
        Mark

Comment

Surface Grinder, Radius Turning attachment, Arbor Press

Comment

Belt grinder. Nice to use but can't stand the mess it makes in the shop.

Comment

BP Shaper/Slotter. But, I better keep it 'cause next week I will need it!

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
                Screw drivers with kung-fu grip
                Large guillotines
                You should use the Large guillotine to cut your sandwiches in half.

Comment

Bought scads of Whitworth tools (wrenches and sockets), then got rid of the British cars.
                  jack

Comment

Die filer.... Figured it would be useful, and it has been, but the total number of times it has been used is small. Of course, the times it has been used, I really did not have another tool to do the job easily. It would have meant setting up one of the shapers to do the inside of a small part. So it has paid for itself in avoiding hand filing, but it may not be actually worth the space it takes up.

As for the shapers, I used the heck out of one until I found a small mill, and since then I have not looked back, they are not even where they can easily be plugged in..

Keep eye on ball.
                    Hashim Khan

Comment

I don't use my 48" Tennsmith finger brake as much as I thought I would.... I wish I had a bigger one. LOL.
                      *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

Wire bending jig. I was so sure it would get a lot of use, but it just sits in the back of a drawer.

Also, not in the shop but in the kitchen - there's a mandolin. I got it as a birthday present a couple years back & was really excited. Was. I've not yet taken it out of the box.

Comment

Air ratchet. Free to a good home.
                          Have probably had it for 30 years and it has maybe 30 minutes of actual use on it.
                          I find it cumbersome and awkward and slow in use. A 3/8 drive butterfly impact has more power, a much smaller footprint, is faster and has more power.

Now even that has taken a back seat to cordless electric tools.
                          So nice not to drag a large air hose everywhere while listening to (and maintaining) a large air compressor running just to power a small hand tool.
                          Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                          Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Originally posted by Lee Cordochorea View Post
                            Wire bending jig. I was so sure it would get a lot of use, but it just sits in the back of a drawer.

Also, not in the shop but in the kitchen - there's a mandolin. I got it as a birthday present a couple years back & was really excited. Was. I've not yet taken it out of the box.
                            Interestingly I bought some specialty wire bending pliers to make wire forms to test custom molds, and I wind up using them to make springs and various other things. Not everyday, but I get more out use out of them than I thought I would.
                            *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

Tools I thought I'd use but don't?

The majority the stuff in my shop!

But, it doesn't matter - it's just stuff. . .
                              Cheers,

Frank Ford
                              HomeShopTech

Comment

Working...
                              X