Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tools you think you would use but don't.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bborr01
    replied
    Originally posted by lugnut View Post
    Just like my signature says.
    I wonder how you came up with that one. LOL

Brian

Leave a comment:

• bborr01
    replied
    Originally posted by MikeL46 View Post
    BP Shaper/Slotter. But, I better keep it 'cause next week I will need it!

Mike
    We had one in our toolroom at GM and in the 28 years that I worked in the toolroom it never got used. We also had a slotter "vertical shaper" but I was almost the only one to use it. I cut some 1" keyways in it and it scared the crap out of me at first but it worked like a charm. Some management genius decided we didn't need it anymore and sold it off. I'm guessing it is sitting in his garage now. From that point on when we needed large keyways cut we sent them out.

Brian

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    When I setup a new wood shop ~10 years ago, I bought a large Grizzly wood shaper that I thought I'd use a lot but only used it a few times. I think I only made one set of raised panels with it.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Yup, plenty of air tools that never get used... Air sanders, tons of paint sprayers, air "palm" nailer (But I do use air nailers/staplers when needed, just never the "palm" nailer for those tight spaces -- never needed it). Air ratchet, air "nibbler", air sander, air grinder, air hammer, air chisels, and even bought an air drill that I never used. I do use a 1/2" air impact wrench for the vehicles occasionally. The most used air tool is probably the tire inflater, an air nozzle for blowing out/cleaning items, and of course the sand blaster. I did go crazy buying air tools for everything when I first got a compressor.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Engelhardt
    replied
    Oh boy, does this thread remind me of all those tools that seemed like good ideas, but weren't.

The way that I look at it is: you can't always know - sometimes a tool turns out to be way more useful than you expected and sometimes vice versa. No regrets - it's all part of the game.

Leave a comment:

• plastikosmd
    replied
    With Willy on the air ratchet

Leave a comment:

• dave_r
    replied
    A set of torque sticks. Used the one rated for my trucks wheel nuts (140 ft/lbs), but it never seemed to result in the nuts getting tight enough. After needing to go back over all the nuts to tighten them down with a torque wrench several times because the nuts came loose, the set I bought are unlikely to ever be used again...

Leave a comment:

• rjs44032
    replied
    I have a box of gear cutters that I bought from a machinery recycler a few years ago. There are full sets of 16, 12, 10, 8 pitches and some odds and ends for others. I still haven't used them but probably will never let them go. Also have an autocollimator that I haven't used yet, but I have plans to some day. I have an old Hobart 60% duty AC/DC welder that hasn't been used in 10 years. Also an old ford tractor that needs TLC. When I get a round tuit.

Best Regards,
    Bob

Leave a comment:

• lugnut
    replied
    Just like my signature says.

Leave a comment:

• loose nut
    replied
    The only tool I haven't used is a crappy Import (you know who I'm talking about) tool post grinder that does a terrible job. I also bought a HF spot welder (which actually does a good job) for a specific job that didn't materialize. Everything else has been used.

Leave a comment:

• sarge41
    replied
    3/8ths inch/pounds torque wrench. 8 yrs and never used it. What was I thinking.

Sarge41

Leave a comment:

• RB211
    replied
    Every tool I own is simply a toy to play with, so they only get used when I feel like using them, which is time shared with all my other hobbies.

Leave a comment:

• garagemark
    replied
    Top of the line pneumatic roofing nailer and 50 pound box of coiled nails. Bought it, decided the next week that the job was too big for just the War Wagon and me. Hired it out. Watched 15 guys re-roof my house in one day.

In the old days I'd have never thought twice about roofing a house, especially mine, with a manual hammer no less! Things change.

I never return a tool, so it is still in the box, having never shot the first nail. But if I ever want to....
    Last edited by garagemark; 05-14-2019, 01:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• reggie_obe
    replied
    Biscuit jointer, used it a bunch of times when I first bought it. Has sat for probably 10 years. Old Printer's type saw with sliding table, was told they are great for cutting Al accurately, fixed it up, never got much use.

Leave a comment:

• fixerdave
    replied
    Yeah... knew somebody would start this. Sigh...

For me, it's all the right speciality tools that I bought because I just finished muddling through some lousy job with the wrong tools, typically busting off a knuckle or two in the process. Of course, said job was so freaking ugly that I go to great lengths to never have to do it again, so the right tools just sit there, never used.

Now, if I were smart.... but...

David...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X