First time to make a spur gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

replied
    If you want to make them cheap, hand grind a single point tool to mount in a 1 inch bad into a collet.
    .it's a bead roller low speed gears not like trying to build high speed silent running gears.
    Good Luck, you will fell great after you pul this off.

Leave a comment:

• old mart
    replied
    The calculator I use makes it 10.058 DP. You will have to re evaluate your calculations before proceeding.

Leave a comment:

• Peter.
    replied
    Works out very close to 10DP. If you're going to cut them on your mill you'll need a no6 cutter.

Leave a comment:

• CCWKen
    replied
    I just did a quick calc on your 8DP 20 tooth gear and I get 2.75" OD.

You won't be able to cut gears unless you know what you have/want.

Added:
    A 20 tooth 10DP gear is 2.2" in diameter, if that helps.
    Last edited by CCWKen; 05-14-2019, 02:09 PM. Reason: Addition

Leave a comment:

• CCWKen
    replied
    If you're going to duplicate the gears on the Pexto, that set you linked to ain't going to do it. It's 16DP. That makes some pretty small teeth--The same as the Craftsman lathe gears. That size will most likely crumble under the stresses of bead rolling. If you're going to make 8DP gears, you'll need an 8DP gear cutter.

I think you can buy two gears cheaper than you can make two gears. Even if you just buy one cutter and the arbor. If you don't plan on making gears in the future, investing in the cutter(s) is silly.

Leave a comment:

• Mr Fixit
    started a topic First time to make a spur gear

First time to make a spur gear

Hello Group,

I want to make 2 spur gears for a DIY Bead Roller. I know I can buy them, but what's the point if I can make them and learn somethings along the way. What type of cutter is the question. Is a set the way to go? I was thinking of a single cutter but the specifics I'm not sure about?

https://www.amazon.com/EVNSIX-Involu...ll-spons&psc=1

Background info below.

I am building a larger machine for making replacement floor panels in a car. I have a PEXTO 622 bead roller that I want to use the dies from. The gears on the PEXTO tool are 20 teeth, 2-3/16" OD and have a 15/16" bore. In researching it seems like they are 14.5 Pitch?, and are a 8DP? if I guessed it correctly.

I have a BP clone, dividing head, and a SB 9" toolroom lathe as equipment for this project. I need a arbor for the mill which I think I can make. The other thing is any youtubes to learn from or a good old book to read. This is a one off for the bead roller, as I don't think I will be mass producing any gears in the future.

As always look forward to any and all comments.

TX
    Mr fixit for the family
    Chris
Working...
X