Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What kind of tubing bender made this? clue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kind of tubing bender made this? clue?

My model 3 bender 1" shoe has a bend radius of 4.5 inches. This is much quicker.. sharper bends.

I was wondering what kind of bender they use?

[This message has been edited by ibewgypsie (edited 11-17-2005).]

I don't know but the radius of the left and right bends just below the cross bar don't appear to be uniform. Still it is pretty good for a one off frame I guess.

Comment

check this link, thought that was weylands frame but on second look its not, still check his bender out![lots of pics, tho]
      http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EeANmrNq0aNmb3o

[bender pic is #40]

[This message has been edited by klla (edited 09-16-2004).]

it never hurts to look
      unless i`m welding!!!!

My Webshots Page

Comment

sorry,tried to post a tubing bender pic

it never hurts to look
        unless i`m welding!!!!

My Webshots Page

Comment

I am guessing this is about 1" od tubing?
          The type of bender used depends on quantity and repeatablity- but since it looks kinda homemade, my guess is either a di-acro, or a hossfeld.
          The bender shown on weylands photos is a hossfeld clone- probably a jd2. Is that what your model 3 is? JD2 has copied the hossfeld, as the patents have expired, but they are focused on the auto and cycle markets, and they have mostly only made fixed radius tubing dies, like the one shown on weylands site. These dies make a fixed centerline radius every time, so you need a separate dieset for each size of tubing and each radius bend. The reason JD2 picked this style of die is that it fits most auto needs, and it doesnt crimp the tube much. A lot of people also buy those funky little shop outfitters benders, but they are really limited in what they can do. Probably not this.
          But real hossfeld benders have many many more types of dies, and there are usually at least 2 or 3 ways to bend any material. This type of bend could easily be done on a hossfeld using what they call pipe dies- a 3 piece setup that can be pulled to whatever radius you want. The disadvantage to these dies is that it is easier to pull too far, and squash the tube. Which I think happened a little bit in this frame. Diacro benders also can be setup with a variety of radius dies on the center pin, which could give this bend, but not as easily, and not with a universal die, like a hossfeld.
          Of course, if I had an order for 1000 of these, I could set up a pines bender to do it- they run 5k-40k for the machine, and need custom dies for each bend, but they can run this part all day, every one the same.

Comment

"...but the radius of the left and right bends just below the cross bar don't appear to be uniform..."

Or is that intentional? To make clearance for the drivetrain, or something.

And about the bender, maybe they just machined a shoe w/ smaller radius, for that very purpose. They need a pretty tight radius in order to complete the dogleg without the radii colliding.

Comment

A trick for making sharp bends in tubing; Fill it full of salt. Not sand, sand granules slide against each other. Salt doesn't because of the cubic shape of the crystals. It jams tight and won't give, keeps the tube full at the bend and forces the metal to stretch/shrink.
              Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Evan,

I've never used salt but I've used sand,but it was a long time ago.

The pipe has a wooden plug driven in one end and the pipe is filled vertically with dry silver sand,tapping the outside of the pipe as you fill it to settle the sand.
                When the pipes full you drive another wooden plug in that end.

I've also bent lead pipe with bobbins.

Allan

Comment

Plumbers here use a spring which they force down the tube before bending.Then the bend comforms nicely they have different springs for different tubing but this may also be heated on this frame.Alistair
                  Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

The frame is by a reputable supplier.

1999.$...

Jigs are on ebay at this moment at $15 for the blueprints for frame and jig.

Spence: the left and right bends are not uniform, the left side requires more offset than the right because of the belt/chain/tire offset. Mine didn't either.

KLLA: That bender is the clone of mine. A model 3.. I am adding the hydraulics, got a greenlee 1/5hp pump-powerpack.

--------------

Comment

http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EeANmrNq0aNmb3o

went through those pics...most interesting to me was number 12f with the guy shooting a tank? in a garbage dumpster....not close enough to tell what handgun...

scott
                      "Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment" R.M.Brown

My shop tour www.plastikosmd.com

Comment

I have seen bends like that before.Local company builds aluminum kd staging and litebars for concerts etc.The bender they use for that is just a piece of plate,same thickness as the tube diameter.It will also have a hole say 1-1/32" for a 1" od tube with each side of the hole having a .500" radius milled on each side,picture the hole in a dounut.

All they do is mark the bend location on the tube,slide it into the hole and pull with a cheater slipped over the tubing.A protactor clamped next to the hole allows for a sight,but I don't think the guys who did that one used it,probibly just eye balled.

Notice how the bends aren't radical,thats why I think they are using this method.Its good for slight offsets and low angle bends.

[This message has been edited by wierdscience (edited 09-16-2004).]
                        I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

re; the shot sporty tank,
                          yea, i got a kick outta that too!
                          [dunno WHAT that was all about!]
                          i know this guy from the net
                          http://www.solutionsmachining.com/
                          west palm beach fla

on the last frame i built, we turned a pc of alum rod and inserted into the DOM tubing, guess you bend curly-q`s without crimping like this!

------------------
                          it never hurts to look
                          unless i`m welding!!!!

it never hurts to look
                          unless i`m welding!!!!

My Webshots Page

Comment

I have pictures somewhere... of me using my indexer to position tubing..

He could use that information..

ANyone know who he is?

The angular repeatability is exceptional. You still have to use a rosebud to adjust the bends a half degree.. don't know why? I blame it on springback.

Comment

Someone emailed me from Brazil.. (don't we all get around)

He says he has built several one-shot bending dies to go into a hydraulic press. He says this frame was bent using one. Male-female press die.. now ain't that special..

Comment

Working...
                              X