Bought a steam cleaner for the house!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought a steam cleaner for the house!

We were staying at a hotel recently that uses steam cleaners to clean the rooms. As we were leaving our room in the morning I saw a women using a steam cleaner like you would use a vacuum cleaner. I talked to her about it and she said they use it to clean everything. The windows, bathrooms, carpets, curtains, etc., etc.. No solvents or soaps just steam. So I had my wife watch a little bit also and we wrote down the name of the unit. When we got back from our trip I looked up the company and called and we had a salesman come and demo a unit at our place. WOW was it fantastic. This unit has what they call dry steam. It is super heated to 190degrees C. It is more like a powder when it comes out of the nozzle. It removes everything and does really well on windows. All with no soap.

The funny part was the salesman showed us maybe three of the different attachments and I said OK I have seen enough I buy one. He kept going with his sales spiel and I had to stop him. He was quite flabbergasted that I wouldn't let him finish.

Now comes the bad part. My wife told me I was not to use it in my shop on my machines! Ha Ha. I said OK no problem then you can pay for the steam cleaner out of your account not mine. We reached a compromise in that we would order extra attachments for me to use in my shop.

This is a commercial unit and not cheap but I was really impressed. The brand is Thermostar made in Austria.

Have any of you all used one before?
    How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

I've never seen a commercial unit but they do sell smaller units in the USA.

Brian
    OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

They've been advertised all over the place for decades. The people making wall paper strippers had to find another use, or perhaps the steam cleaner came first. The combined steam plus vac seems best, you still have to move that dirt after the steam has released it so it either has to be cloths you put through the washing machine or enough water around to suck it up with the dirt.

Comment

I have two Vapor Clean units, that are,if I remember right, 60 psi & 300 degrees. Works great on bathrooms (sanitizes as well as cleans), tile and any other area not heat sensitive. Be very careful on carpet, can heat set it & shrink it. Works great on grease and oil.

Comment

Years ago I bought a cheap ($) little hand held unit, a "Hot Shot" steam cleaner. I use it just to defrost the freezer in my fridge and for that it works very well; it really speeds up the process. Regardless of a steamer's size they can be just the right tool for the job.

Comment

BF,

Please keep us updated on the cleaning results. Something like oven/oven window cleaning would be especially interesting to see.

Comment

Do you really plan on using it on your tools? I would think that using water, in any form, is bad news for massive chunks of cast iron.

Comment

I use mine for restoration level cleaning. Massive chunks of cast iron are also massive heat sinks, you'll have to work to get them to release the absorbed oil. When done, I wipe everything down with a light coat of oil, or R.I.G. grease (yeah, I know thats redundant). Reverse electrolysis to remove rust also removes all the absorbed oil, and I often see a light coating of surface rust as it dries. But it wipes right off.

Comment

I watched videos showing Thermostar use and got some questions.

They show house plant cleaning. It means the vapor/steam is not hot. And it didn't look like they used a special attachment.

Also, I wonder where the dirt goes. The water left on the surface after cleaning doesn't look dirty in these promotional videos.
                  Last edited by MichaelP; 05-21-2019, 12:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelP View Post
                    I watched videos showing Thermostar use and got some questions.

They show house plant cleaning. It means the vapor/steam is not hot. And it didn't look like they used a special attachment.

Also, I wonder where the dirt goes. The water left on the surface after cleaning doesn't look dirty in this promotional videos.
                    All I can tell you is you can put your hand in the steam and it is not hot. Maybe right up by the nozzle it is but a foot in front of the nozzle it is almost cool. When the salesman cleaned the big exhaust hood in the kitchen he used a special cloth over the brush attachment. The dirt and grease was on the cloth. What was really amazing was there was no dripping water on the stainless steel. It isn't like using a pressure washer! It is magic I guess!
                    How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Thank you, BF. Keep us updated please.

I'm trying to understand the mechanism of the cleaning action of cold steam, and so far, I have to agree that it sounds like a black magic. Or a white one, to be precise.
                      Last edited by MichaelP; 05-21-2019, 12:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelP View Post

Thank you, BF. Keep us updated please.

I'm trying to understand the mechanism of the cleaning action of cold steam, and so far, I have to agree that it sounds like a black magic. Or a white one, to be precise.
                        OK, our steam cleaner showed up today. The steam ain't cold. Don't ask me how I know! It is ok about 12" away from nozzle for a VERY short period of time. If you are holding something in your hand and hit your hand with the steam not very far away from the nozzle it burns. Again, don't ask me how I know!

Also it is not as dry as I remembered in the salesman's demo of the unit. I think he used dry water! It doesn't make a mess and certainly not like a pressure washer but it does leave water behind especially if what you are cleaning is very dirty and you have to hit it hard with the steam. But a small towel wipes up the water and dirt real easy. We cleaned a bathroom after our maids cleaned it and lets just say she didn't get it clean. The steam cleaner removed stuff that doesn't just wipe off with some spray cleaner and a damp rag.

Just as soon as the wife goes out later I will drag the unit up to my shop and see how it does on tools.

Comment

We're all ears.

Comment

Working...
                          X