Recommendation For Coolant For Mister

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendation For Coolant For Mister

I want to start using my mister with my surface grinder again. What would be a good coolant to use with that? Keeping in mind I won't be using this everyday, so when I'm done I'll pour the coolant in a plastic jug or some other container for storage till next time. The stuff I used years ago turned funny after about a year and storage. Maybe some of the stuff has improved since then.

JL....

I've been using koolmist 77(?, could be the 76) without issue. Does a good job through the sprayer, keeps things cool, haven't noticed anything growing in it after a few months. Only thing I don't completely like it it seems to dry kinda sticky. Think I may have mine mixed a little on the strong side, but I will say that whatever's causing the stickiness seems to be a good rust inhibitor

Comment

Hi,

I use KoolMist also. And I have no funk issues either.
      If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

Comment

Originally posted by epicfail48 View Post
        I've been using koolmist 77(?, could be the 76) without issue. Does a good job through the sprayer, keeps things cool, haven't noticed anything growing in it after a few months. Only thing I don't completely like it it seems to dry kinda sticky. Think I may have mine mixed a little on the strong side, but I will say that whatever's causing the stickiness seems to be a good rust inhibitor
        This is also one of my main concerns.

JL............

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
          This is also one of my main concerns.

JL............
          Its a touch annoying, but really not horrible to deal with. It cleans off the parts without issue, and while it does leave parts of the machine a bit tacky as mentioned it also seems to do a good job protecting from corrosion, so i see it as almost a net positive.

Before anybody gets on to me, yes, i do clean up my machines after use. I dont go neurotic about it, but i do make sure to wipe everything off and oil any work or bare metal surfaces.

Comment

I used Kool Mist 77 in a mister and also for flood. It was marginally ok for mist, but for flood it badly stained the parts. Kool Mist claimed it was my water until I pointed out I was using distilled water (I have a distiller in my shop). Then they just stopped talking to me. I switched to SC520 at the suggestion of Lloyd Sponenburgh. Lloyd used to be a regular on RCM if the name sounds familiar to any of you guys. Its awesome stuff, never stains a part, and cleans up with just water if you do let it sit too long on a part. I've never used it in a mister, and I've never left it sit for a year, but it seems to keep ok too. I had a machine that was down for a while I was deciding whether to scrap it or fix it. After six months I pumped the coolant out and put it in another machine rather than waste it. Didn't seem to have any issue. I buy the stuff 5 gallons at a time from MSC Direct, but there are other sources if you hate MSC. It is not legal to export. MSC makes sure I am aware of that every time I buy some. The MSDS is pretty tame and the instruction are pretty simple. I do not know if its suitable for mist as I just run flood on everything now. Might be worth a consideration.

I typically run it at about 6%-8% solution with distilled water. For mist (if its good for mist) I'd probably run a lower mix.

I will never run Kool Mist in my shop again. If I can't get anything else I'll fill my tanks with transmission fluid first.
            Bob La Londe
            Last edited by Bob La Londe; 05-20-2019, 08:59 PM.
            *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

I don't plan on flooding the grinder with the stuff. It would never be flowing off the magnetic chuck surface anyway. In the past I used to wrap a paper towel around the part and fasten it with a rubber band. Providing I could, part size etc. That worked pretty good as far as absorbing any run off. I also have put paper towels down on the chuck and held them down with a few small strips of sheet metal. A light mist usually evaporates before it hits the table.

JL.................

Comment

I wasn't suggesting you flood your grinder. I was suggesting you see if a real professional product like SC520 or SC620 might be suitable for mist.
                *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob La Londe View Post
                  I wasn't suggesting you flood your grinder. I was suggesting you see if a real professional product like SC520 or SC620 might be suitable for mist.
                  Bob, I know that. What I meant was the excess coolant running all over and seeping into places where you wouldn't want it to go.
                  The whole point of using a mister is so you don't flood everything.
                  Most of the time I just use plain water and dab a few spots with a Qtip. Even that small amount of water makes a big difference in surface finish etc.
                  The only problem is it ties ujp one of my hands when grinding.
                  Is the SC520 supposed to be better in some way?

JL.............
                  JoeLee
                  Last edited by JoeLee; 05-20-2019, 10:56 PM.

Comment

I found it to be a thousand percent better than Kool Mist for milling, turning, and saw cutting in flood applications, I've never seen a hint of staining, and it cleans up really easy if you forget about it. I use it every day on aluminum and occasionally on steel.

I'll ask over on the CB forum about using it in a mister. Lots of guys over there use misters, and atleast a couple use SC520.

~~~ Ok I asked. http://www.cambam.co.uk/forum/index....c=7983.new#new
                    Bob La Londe
                    Last edited by Bob La Londe; 05-20-2019, 11:05 PM.

Comment

Thanks Bob,
                      Let me know what you find out. Also who sells the sc520 ?

JL....

Comment

Ill be honest, ive yet to see any staining issues with the koolmist. Stickyness yes, but no stains. Admittedly, most of what ive ground so far has been cast iron, dunno if that has anything to do with it or not, but even the steel parts ive done havent had any issues. Cant speak for anything non-ferrous, havent worked my way up to that yet.

To be clear, im not saying it doesnt happen, more that i find the idea interesting and its definitely something ill be looking out for. Ill also say that ive found that, even at a low flow, the coolant has a habit of building up on the chuck and running everywhere, and the tiny bit of mist doesnt seem to do much to keep the heat down on anything but the lightest passes where you probably wouldnt need coolant anyways. Again, my experience, and i will quite freely admit that im a garage hackjob and i barely even think im using the machine in a way that wont violently kill me, but still, the mister that i have is surprisingly messy. The mist also creates a bit of fog, at least the venturi one i use does, so its not just what the mister is spraying directly on you have to worry about

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb
                          I still have to set up a mister that I bought for my surface grinder. My surface grinder (Old Harig Super 612) seems to have a nice coolant channel + drain built into the table and I decided I'm just going to use straight water and just wipe her down after I'm done and maybe just spray some WD40 after I'm done for the day. She's old and I'm just playing around so not too concerned.
                          My KO Lee has a nice coolant channel also and I think that the company did have a coolant pump set up that was an option. But as I said before if I used my grinder on a daily basis I would probably have a flood coolant set up. But I don't want to flood everything for the occasional small jobs that I do.
                          Even a few drops of straight water make a huge difference in surface finish and sparking out.
                          I have been using either a Qtip or one of those small foam paint brushes to wet the surface.

JL.............

Comment

Ill be honest, ive yet to see any staining issues with the koolmist. Stickyness yes, but no stains. Admittedly, most of what ive ground so far has been cast iron, dunno if that has anything to do with it or not, but even the steel parts ive done havent had any issues. Cant speak for anything non-ferrous, havent worked my way up to that yet.

To be clear, im not saying it doesnt happen, more that i find the idea interesting and its definitely something ill be looking out for. Ill also say that ive found that, even at a low flow, the coolant has a habit of building up on the chuck and running everywhere, and the tiny bit of mist doesnt seem to do much to keep the heat down on anything but the lightest passes where you probably wouldnt need coolant anyways. Again, my experience, and i will quite freely admit that im a garage hackjob and i barely even think im using the machine in a way that wont violently kill me, but still, the mister that i have is surprisingly messy. The mist also creates a bit of fog, at least the venturi one i use does, so its not just what the mister is spraying directly on you have to worry about
                            This is why I roll up a paper towel and wrap it around the part if possible and put a few pieces of paper towel down on the chuck surface to absorb any excess. It works pretty good in containing / absorbing coolant run off.
                            I can't remember having the "fog" problem with my mister, I don't remember it atomizing that fine. Maybe if I increased the air pressure it might. It was tricky to adjust the air flow and mix to get the desired amount to come out and I had problems throttling it down to spit small droplets and it seemed like it always changed as I was grinding. If I wasn't carefully watching it I would end up with too much running all over the chuck. It was one more thing in the way that I had to keep an eye on and that's why I quit using it and went to dabbing water with a Qtip.
                            I did get one of those cold air guns to use in place of the mister but never got around to setting it up as I needed to make some kind of a stand. The thing is big and bulky and uses a lot of air so I tossed that idea.

JL................
                            JoeLee
                            Last edited by JoeLee; 05-21-2019, 08:29 AM.

Comment

The mist also creates a bit of fog, at least the venturi one i use does, so its not just what the mister is spraying directly on you have to worry about
                              At my first job we cut a lot of aluminum and had misters on every machine. One of the first things I was taught was to keep the flow so light you couldn't see it. To check for flow, we would hold our thumbnail in the air stream and look for oil gathering. If you can see it in the air, it's too heavy.

The misters worked well for aluminum, but not so much on steel.
                              George
                              Traverse City, MI

Comment

Working...
                              X