Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

O.T. so you climbed everest - so what...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O.T. so you climbed everest - so what...

Anyone see the recent pics of the traffic jams on everest? I guess money can buy you just about anything,,, including all the real men (sherpa's) to haul all your crap up for you if and when you want...

Fact is and pardon the expression but "it's been done to death" so who really gives a crap, the real everest hero's were actually just that as they conquered what never has been and did it with "inferior means"

some without even using oxygen --- now it's just called "Mt. Trash" by many of the purist...

which brings me to the reason of the post, and actually some machining content, I wonder how many of the old school poisk titanium oxygen bottles are hanging around --- wonder if it would be worth a trip to haul down a shopping bag or two ?

about the only reason id climb that trash heap is just to hear the other climbers comment "where the hell is he going off the beaten path so far out" "oh --- he's not into the mt at all - he's just interested in the old school poisk titanium oxygen canisters for getting a few bucks on the salvage" lol

I have a close friend who is a serious climber, he tells me that everest is a harder climb than it was in the past, simply because you are at high altitude for a longer amount of time...because you are waiting in line.

Comment

there is that, in fact guy from my state just died due to "waiting in line" what a way to go, and i thought denver traffic jams were bad --- it's just getting plain stupid up there,,,

you can also create more of a challenge by taking off your coat - oh boy!

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
        there is that, in fact guy from my state just died due to "waiting in line" what a way to go, and i thought denver traffic jams were bad --- it's just getting plain stupid up there,,,

you can also create more of a challenge by taking off your coat - oh boy!
        Your only error was the word "getting", it's been the "plain stupid" for quite a few years.
        ...lew...

Comment

I once walked from Phoenix to LA for a $5 bet, a few years later I walked from SF to Glendale (phoenix suburb) for $50. Then, many years later I rode a bicycle from GR Mi to Sf because someone said they could out ride me. He caught a bus back home in Wyoming, I flew home from SFO.

For some people, simply being able to say "I did it" is reason enough.

Comment

Originally posted by kendall View Post
            I once walked from Phoenix to LA for a $5 bet, a few years later I walked from SF to Glendale (phoenix suburb) for $50. Then, many years later I rode a bicycle from GR Mi to Sf because someone said they could out ride me. He caught a bus back home in Wyoming, I flew home from SFO.

For some people, simply being able to say "I did it" is reason enough.
            Don't take this the wrong way, but where I'm from , we have a name for people like you.
            san jose, ca. usa

Comment

Originally posted by kendall View Post
              ...For some people, simply being able to say "I did it" is reason enough...
              That would surely be the case if you were doing something new or unique but in the case of Everest it has become
              almost a production line. I would be much more interested in hearing the stories of people who climbed lesser known
              and relatively unexplored mountains. Everest has become nothing more than a box you check on your "bucket list"...
              Keith

Comment

Anyone see the recent pics of the traffic jams on everest? I guess money can buy you just about anything,,, including all the real men (sherpa's) to haul all your crap up for you if and when you want...

Fact is and pardon the expression but "it's been done to death" so who really gives a crap, the real everest hero's were actually just that as they conquered what never has been and did it with "inferior means"

some without even using oxygen --- now it's just called "Mt. Trash" by many of the purist...

which brings me to the reason of the post, and actually some machining content, I wonder how many of the old school poisk titanium oxygen bottles are hanging around --- wonder if it would be worth a trip to haul down a shopping bag or two ?

about the only reason id climb that trash heap is just to hear the other climbers comment "where the hell is he going off the beaten path so far out" "oh --- he's not into the mt at all - he's just interested in the old school poisk titanium oxygen canisters for getting a few bucks on the salvage" lol
                I was just talking about this with one of my sons, who while not a high altitude climber, closely follows such stuff. I was commenting that I had read that the place is hugely littered with discarded O2 bottles and other such abandoned gear. He said that they are actually making efforts to clear that junk out, with programs among the climbing teams to haul stuff back down with them and all that. Apparently the government there is actually paying some (probably small) amount of money per "extra" O2 tank that gets taken down and turned in. All just in an effort to clean the place up. They seem to have a lot of catching up to do though.

Comment

Waiting in line to climb a mountain?? What's at the top of pot of gold ?

JL.....

Comment

I've seen the Himalayan mountains from the cockpit, mount Fuji, and others. Good enough for me. Flying into Alaska Northwest from over Canada offers incredibly beautiful views, and at night, spectacular Northern Lights. Sometimes I need to be reminded how nice my job is, that usually does it for me.

Comment

Originally posted by gambler View Post
                      Don't take this the wrong way, but where I'm from , we have a name for people like you.
                      So........ We are waiting to find out which of the possibles you are thinking of.

Keep eye on ball.
                      Hashim Khan

Everything not impossible is compulsory

Birds are NOT real, they are spying on you

Comment

The discarded bottles aren't "off the beaten path" ... they are on the route.

Comment

while you standing in line, where & who cleans the toilets?
                          besides all the trash, I bet it is a hygiene problem.

Comment

Things change as 'civilisation' reaches out.
                            Some years ago I heard a documentary about the Donner Party. A few months later I found myself on holiday driving on a wide road in a nicely heated car through the Donner Pass in a snowstorm then stopped for a burger by the lake. Whatever was their problem a hundred years before, it's only a short hop from Sacramento as I remember it.

Comment

Good thing is that if you want to enjoy solitary confinement everyone else is packed to Mt. Everest!

Didn't need to wander off far from the most famous points in Yellowstone, Yosemite or Grand Canyon either to find peace even if they seem to be packed with people (and cars!) on july.

Comment

Working...
                              X