Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Yondering
    • Feb 2014

Here's another interesting application of sealed bearings in an externally lubricated application, although it's with hot oil instead of grease - the 2001-2007 KTM "RFS" engine (used in 400/450/525 dirt bikes and other applications) use roller bearings on the cam shaft in the cylinder head. These motors use oil spray lubrication in the head and run up to 10,000 rpm.

Originally in the first couple years of production, these roller bearings were the open or shielded style, which made sense in the oil lubricated environment. However, high rpm roller bearings don't tolerate even minute flecks of metal or carbon grit, so the bearings were prone to failing as the engine started to wear. KTM switched to sealed bearings and eliminated the failures. Apparently enough oil gets by the seals to keep the bearing lubricated, and they generally last the life of the engine with no issues.

Comment

• Ohio Mike
      • Jan 2009

I considered modification of my JD spindles when I first replaced the bearings. However when you price grease and the fact that you need a whole tube to fill in the void in the spindles I figured I'd just run the new set till they got rough and replace them again. They're cheap 6203-2RS and at a couple of dollars a piece the grease would almost cost more.
      Mike
      Central Ohio, USA

Comment

• olf20
        • Nov 2012

Many years ago Simplicity Mfg decided to eliminate the grease
        fitting on their spindles. Have being a dealer for many years
        we were very unhappy with this move.
        As time progress we serviced mowers and started seeing premature
        bearing failures on these spindles. When repaired we saw rust and
        dry bearings. These were the 108202 sealed bearings.
        A few years went by and the zerks were back.
        When we inquired as to the reason the answer was; "we found that
        the warming and cooling of the spindles condensed water inside them
        and caused premature failures. The grease does not lube the bearing
        but rather keeps moisture out of housings".
        If any of you know the old Simplicity mower deck spindles they would
        run forever. My opinion.
        olf20 / Bob

Comment

• Doozer
          • Jan 2005

I had a 1965? Jacobsen super chief garden tractor with a mowing deck.
          Used it for many years until the deck finally rotted out (1/8" steel plate
          last a long time). I never oiled or greased the deck spindle bearings at
          all, ever. Never a problem in it's lifetime. I believe the bearings were
          double row ball bearings, and sized to last in their application a very
          long time.

--Doozer
          DZER

Comment

• Royldean
            • Aug 2013

A coworker who used to work for a major ag/construction industry supplier told me that many products shipped with sealed bearings AND grease zerks.... It is sort of an dirty little industry secret.

Comment

• Ohio Mike
              • Jan 2009

Originally posted by olf20 View Post
              When we inquired as to the reason the answer was; "we found that
              the warming and cooling of the spindles condensed water inside them
              and caused premature failures. The grease does not lube the bearing
              but rather keeps moisture out of housings".
              I can believe that. On my Deere the upper bearings are usually in good shape but the lowers always show signs of corrosion from moisture.
              Mike
              Central Ohio, USA

Comment

• Ed.
                • Apr 2010

Another issue is that people cut the grass and at the end of the day they wash down the undercarriage and the top of the cutter deck , by that stage everything is hot and when the cold water hits the bearings and cools them down it sucks the water in to them.

Comment

• olf20
                  • Nov 2012

Originally posted by Ohio Mike View Post
                  I can believe that. On my Deere the upper bearings are usually in good shape but the lowers always show signs of corrosion from moisture.
                  Yeh that was was a whole another story. Both Cub Cadet and Simplicity put the hose adapter on their decks a few years ago and lots of people was washing their deck out underneath. Lots of bearing failures on 1 to 2 year old mowers.

Woops wrong quote.

olf20 / Bob

Comment

• rws
                    • Nov 2003

My '88 John Deere still has the original spindles, I grease them about twice each season. And I'm knocking on wood!

Comment

Working...
                    X