Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dumb machining questions. The jig that an engine gets bolted to for machining called?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumb machining questions. The jig that an engine gets bolted to for machining called?

The round bar that a guy would bolt an engine too using the mains which then sits between two centers, whats that called? Is it a make it yourself kind of deal? I have a small engine I need to bore the cylinders on and need to get at it soon.

Like in the pic but without the power unit.

Andy

Well, in general, contraptions or devices whose purpose is to hold work pieces in the proper place and alignment for machining are called fixtures, as I understand the term.

In the world of engine building/machining there may be some more specialized term, but if so I know it not. If I were going to coin such a term, I'd probably call it a "dummy crank."
    Last edited by lynnl; 05-31-2019, 08:13 AM.
    Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

yup, you want to call it fixture to find it searching. jigs are for drilling.

RMC, who's photo you show calls it "4th Axis Rotary Table and Block True Blueprinting Fixture"

I don't know that you are going to get anything more exact than "engine block fixture". page 2 here

https://rmcengine.com/wp-content/upl...18-Webpage.pdf

PS....I'd guess the engine is bolted to the t slotted face place rather than sitting between centres. I wouldn't think it would be rigid enough just attached to a bar between centres, no first hand knowledge, but that would seem too light a set up
      Last edited by Mcgyver; 05-31-2019, 08:27 AM.

Comment

I found this old gem. Post # 796

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thr...639#post641639
        Andy

Comment

Originally posted by vpt View Post
          I found this old gem. Post # 796
          there you go....looks like it would work after all.

Comment

DZER

Comment

I would call it a mandrel.

Comment

I'd call it a crank locating, cylinder boring fixture.

A simplistic definition, fixtures hold the work, jigs are held TO the work. It can get more complicated and blurry than that, but that's pretty much the jist of it.

Comment

Jigs guide cutting tools.
                  Fixtures hold the workpiece.

Comment

Check out Goodison Supply, they carry a full line of engine machining/rebuilding supplies/tools...I believe BJH make a block truing jig for a Bridgeport style mill to do most of the block machining,( lifter bores, deck, boring) not cheap .. http://bhjproducts.com/bhj_content/p.../bt1_intro.php Good luck!

Comment

A fixture is fastened down to the machine table. A jig is not.

Comment

You just need a big enough machine....

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/thr...light=linuxcnc

Comment

Originally posted by ponderingjunkman View Post
                          A fixture is fastened down to the machine table. A jig is not.
                          I have to disagree , a jig can bolt to the table. Then you load the part and clamp.
                          Then you do all of one hole move to next hole, the re mount all the work pieces for next op..

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post
                            yup, you want to call it fixture to find it searching. jigs are for drilling

This is a Reglus Drill Jig for a variety of jobs,it clamps to table.

Comment

Among other things, also used for spotfacing, counter boring, hollow end mills , reamers. ...

Comment

Working...
                              X