I Wonder Who Made This Pulley Assembly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Wonder Who Made This Pulley Assembly

This pulley was rigged to the back of an old Benchmaster mill. I like the way it separates into two pieces; I assume the maker supplied different, interchangeable sizes of both large and small pulleys. No markings anywhere to indicate who made this. The thread is 1-1/2" - 16tpi and this one has a bronze bushing with 9/16 bore.

It looks like a versatile design. I haven't seen anything like this listed anywhere, but I may not have looked everywhere. Any ideas?

Possibly the PO did it for some reason. The large pully looks like what comes as the driven pully for a clothes dryer and maybe that is what the PO started with?
    Just me thinking outside of the box on this one !

TX
    Mr fixit for the family
    Chris
    Last edited by Mr Fixit; 06-13-2019, 07:23 PM. Reason: spelling ;)

Comment

Won't it unscrew when turning one direction?

Comment

That is a pulley out of a cloths dryer. Used one to make a jack shaft for my 1912 Peerless flat belt converted hack saw.

Comment

/\/\/\ Ditto, I use one of those pulleys as a speed reducer on my 12" Craftsman bandsaw when using a metal-cutting blade on steel.

The dryers with them were probably made in the early '60s, since I found one in a dump in the late '70s. They lasted longer back then.
          Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

The pulley looks like one that came off an old electric cement mixer.

JL....

Comment

There a lot of those combinations on Combine grain Harverters,not threaded but bolted or casted together usally cast iron.

Comment

A real nice work up. That sheave looks kinda nice and old. I like it. JR
                My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Probably Chicago Diecast-

http://www.chicagodiecasting.com/zinc-die-casting.htm

They are responsible for a lot of the diecast parts in this world.
                  I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Just took a 45 year old Maytag washer off line. Only repair--- belts not available anymore, made a bigger idler to accommodate next size belt.
                    mark costello-Low speed steel

Comment

OK, so it's most likely repurposed from an appliance. That would explain the lack of any branding anywhere.

Here, I thought it was part of something like a "universal pulley system" that would include various sizes of large pulley, various sizes of small pulley, thread direction options, etc.

Comment

Working...
                      X