No announcement yet.

Spin Fixture for the Surface Grinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice job on the “Spinner”. I have been looking for either of the Suburbans or a Harig at auction but they command a hefty price. Have thought of possibly making one, yours is proof it can be executed well. Good idea with the face plate mounting. I like that you can put different fixtures on the unit.

Using a stepped flange with a light press and fasteners instead of welding for attaching the face plate to the shaft might have been a nicer interface, I personally don’t like to weld on precision parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by MillNut View Post
      Nice job on the “Spinner”. I have been looking for either of the Suburbans or a Harig at auction but they command a hefty price. Have thought of possibly making one, yours is proof it can be executed well. Good idea with the face plate mounting. I like that you can put different fixtures on the unit.

Using a stepped flange with a light press and fasteners instead of welding for attaching the face plate to the shaft might have been a nicer interface, I personally don’t like to weld on precision parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Thanks, I wasn't worried about the welding as I was planning to clean up the faceplate after they were attached. Put it back in the 4 jaw and cut about 10 thou off the face to get it back true again.

Comment

Originally posted by mattthegamer463 View Post
        If it don't fit in my bench vise, it don't get pressed
        Don't own a heavy hammer???

-D
        DZER

Comment

Originally posted by bborr01 View Post
          .003 would be a lot of press for a shaft that size.
          That is kind of the idea.

Actually any time you specify a dimension for a press fit,
          you should of course include a tolerance and a surface
          finish call out, but this is HSMing.

-D
          Last edited by Doozer; 06-20-2019, 12:15 PM.
          DZER

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
            Don't own a heavy hammer???

-D
            Can't tell if you're joking.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Comment

Heck no I am not joking.
              Make due with what you have.
              What makes you think so??

-D
              DZER

Comment

Heat up the flange it will go in easy..

Btw , I am not sure how they remove shrunk in tooling for cnc mills ?

Comment

They heat the toolholders with an induction heater (magnetically)
                  and the tooling is carbide, so there is a differential expansion.

-D
                  DZER

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
                    Heck no I am not joking.
                    Make due with what you have.
                    What makes you think so??

-D
                    I did make due, with a welder. A big hammer seems more severe to me.

Comment

This thing is turning a bad taper and I realized it must be due to the base front face, it's never been aligned to the faceplate. I bolted it to a angle block, put a 123 block on the faceplate and ran an indicator around it finding it square vertically from the base within half a thou (this was ground in) and adjusted so it was reading well in both directions.

Ready to go but grinding it tomorrow as I want to watch Battlebots before bed.

Comment

This thing is turning a bad taper and I realized it must be due to the base front face, it's never been aligned to the faceplate. I bolted it to a angle block, put a 123 block on the faceplate and ran an indicator around it finding it square vertically from the base within half a thou (this was ground in) and adjusted so it was reading well in both directions.

Ready to go but grinding it tomorrow as I want to watch Battlebots before bed.

Where do you watch battle bots?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by RB211 View Post
                          Where do you watch battle bots?

The internet, as I don't have cable. There's a few different ways to get the episodes.

Comment

The internet, as I don't have cable. There's a few different ways to get the episodes.

I'd like to watch them. Also, have you seen Stefan's videos on cylindrical grinding on his surface grinder? He made a nice setup for doing it.
                            https://youtu.be/VatTwmi0vgY

Comment

I did, its a nice setup for grinding vetween centres. I have iton my to-do list but its pretty far down at the moment. I have a Starrett indicator stand, smaller than his but it eould work well in a similar setup.

You can see a lot of the current reboot's fights on Youtube. They're currently airing the 4th season after the reboot in 2015. They're pretty light on technicals as you can expect for a cable TV program.

Comment

Working...
                              X