Spin Fixture for the Surface Grinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spin Fixture for the Surface Grinder

This weekends project, a little spin fixture for OD grinding. I wanted to see if I could make a spindle. It uses 6203-2RS bearings with a spring to preload the balls and minimise runout. The body is a cast iron piston rod end or something.

Some pictures

Drew it in solidworks

Turned a 4" disk from 1/2" plate

Indicated off the reference bore I made with the intention to matching my 4" rotab from Little Machine Shop

Welded in the spindle I made

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mattthegamer463; 06-16-2019, 11:33 PM.

Cut down the cast iron and bore the bearing holes. I machined some flats referenced against the bearing bores and assembled the unit after I faced off the faceplate to correct the alignment errors after welding.

I clamped the faceplate to an angle block and ground the cast iron flat, made a bottom plate and ground that too.

Tested it out on a old tool steel shank and it works nicely.

Comment

It needs some finishing touches. One thing i want to do is case harden the base, and make a V block work holder that many higher end units have. I also need to futz with my hackjob ER32 holder I made last year as it has quite a bit of runout, making it close to useless.

Last edited by mattthegamer463; 06-17-2019, 10:55 AM.

Comment

That's some nice work there.

JL....

Comment

Hire out your welding.

-D
          DZER

Comment

Cool little fixture.

Comment

Someday I will have you ...…………..
              Someday.

Comment

My brother gave me one of them , it says electrode former, looks the same.

Comment

Originally posted by KiddZimaHater View Post
                  Someday I will have you ...…………..
                  Someday.
                  I've spent countless hours spinning the handle of one of those. I want one with a motor . I made a tapered plug that fits into the handle, with a 1/4" hex flex shaft on the other end. I can now use my small 12v hex driver to spin it which makes pin grinding so much nicer. But it's not the same as having one on a base plate with a motor attached.

Nice work Matt, looks like a pretty useful setup you have there.

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
                    Hire out your welding.

-D
                    Thanks Doozer.

My flux core welder is a $130 unit that isn't rated for beyond 1/8" and preheating makes the spatter fuse extra hard to everywhere I don't want it, so I just gave it a few squirts and crossed my fingers. Doesn't have to withstand much force, especially in the axial direction so I don't think it will break.

I was thinking about how to do a limit-setting feature so I can grind a radius without fear of overshooting, but I didn't come up with something that wasn't way over complicated.

Comment

Did some tweaks on my ER32 collet holder and now it is running a lot nicer, I frankly don't know what was going on in my head when I made it as there was like .01" face runout when mounted on a dowel pin in the 4 jaw. Did a similar process to get it tuned in around .001" on the spin fixture so its going to live there for the time being.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice work.
                        Added to my list

Comment

Originally posted by mattthegamer463 View Post
                          Thanks Doozer.

Just could have made it a .003" press fit and forget the welding.

-D
                          DZER

Comment

-D
                            If it don't fit in my bench vise, it don't get pressed

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Comment

-D
                              .003 would be a lot of press for a shaft that size.
                              OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

Working...
                              X