Question about av gas buying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about av gas buying

I wanted to buy some av gas (100 LL) for my model engines.
    I went to a airport near me that has a pump with a credit card only dispenser.
    What I did not know was that they also require a tail number.
    I called a friend of mine that has a bi-wing. We gave me his numbers, and I think he was a little reluctant.
    I purchase my one gallon, and was on my way.

What I'd like to understand is what is the reason for the tail number? I understand that there need to be some control, otherwise everyone might be using it in all manned of things.
    At $4.75/gal, probably not for general auto usage.

What's to stop anyone that would want to buy fuel, to just use any number they google for instance, or any plane sitting there? I also realize that if yo dig deep enough, my CC will not be associated in any way to that tail number/aircraft ownership.

Sid

At one time controls were less. Someone I knew who had a racing type Jaguar had to at least mix in some avgas or it would knock like a jackhammer. That was mebbe 35 years ago.

Betcha cannot do that any more........
    Last edited by J Tiers; 06-17-2019, 11:24 AM.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Comment

It may have something to do with road taxes. Road taxes not on av gas.

Comment

Originally posted by beechur johnson View Post
        It may have something to do with road taxes. Road taxes not on av gas.
        It's probably ALL about taxes.

Keep eye on ball.
        Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
          Follow the money!

Well, for a gallon's worth, I guess I'm probably OK!!

Sid

Comment

I think it has a lot to do with what governmental department (county, state, fed.) the applicable taxes are disbursed to.
            Having been in fuel distribution for many years I swear there's a sheet of paper generated for every liter of fuel sold.
            Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
            Bad Decisions Make Good Stories

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
              More likely the reason is the lead in the 100LL.

Comment

Originally posted by sid pileski View Post
                Follow the money!

Well, for a gallon's worth, I guess I'm probably OK!!

Sid
                Just don't drive your model engines on the road Sid

and yeah taxes im sure - probably why the stuff is dyed blue along with the other stuff that's not to see road use dyed red...

Comment

many here head to airport before the drag strip at cayuga (local drag strip)....maybe they're all in on some local scam, but I've not heard that there's a restriction.

What happened to the land of free?

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
                    Just don't drive your model engines on the road Sid

and yeah taxes im sure - probably why the stuff is dyed blue along with the other stuff that's not to see road use dyed red...
                    I wonder if I'd see (feel) any real performance gain in my coupe?

Sid

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post
                      many here head to airport before the drag strip at cayuga (local drag strip)....maybe they're all in on some local scam, but I've not heard that there's a restriction.

What happened to the land of free?
                      Nah, local scam is reservation gas, not av gas. Can have the opposite effect on performance depending on where you buy it.

Comment

I live in a suburban area of 1 acre + lots. Few years ago, my son and his friend decided to go on a day trip and his friend left his pick up truck parked in our driveway with his business' name on the side of it. It was gone late that night when they returned.

A week later I get a letter from our Township that says they have observed a commercial vehicle on my property and reminded me that it is prohibited to run a business establishment out of a residence within the township. I won't go into details of the bizarre conversation I had with the ordinance enforcement officer I spoke to. He finally just ended the call by saying that it was "non compliant to run a business from a residence, even it we weren't....." WTF???

Ya, land of the free....indeed.

Comment

People are drawn to AV gas because of the octane numbers.... but they should dig a little deeper and see that the octane rating is on a different scale than automotive , and at a lower rpm, as most piston aviation motors live below 3000rpm, and have oil dispersants in the fuel ... a no no for 2 strokes... you , in most cases would be better running a ethanol free Premium , or rec fuel....JMO..your mileage may vary...LOL

Comment

It is all about traceability of components used on aircraft. If there was an accident, the fuel source would automatically be under scrutiny. All the fuel put in an aircraft is supposed to be logged and its batch number recorded, that's why the owner of the aircraft tail number was not entirely happy to be involved, it could get him into trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by OaklandGB View Post
                              I live in a suburban area of 1 acre + lots. Few years ago, my son and his friend decided to go on a day trip and his friend left his pick up truck parked in our driveway with his business' name on the side of it. It was gone late that night when they returned.

A week later I get a letter from our Township that says they have observed a commercial vehicle on my property and reminded me that it is prohibited to run a business establishment out of a residence within the township. I won't go into details of the bizarre conversation I had with the ordinance enforcement officer I spoke to. He finally just ended the call by saying that it was "non compliant to run a business from a residence, even it we weren't....." WTF???

Ya, land of the free....indeed.
                              That's incredibly sad,,, I hope you did have a few choice words for him. imagine doing that for a "living" - there actually needs to be a law against that...

Comment

Working...
                              X