Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wire Bending

I came across this: https://i.imgur.com/RJkQn5n.gifv

Never mind the use or value of what he's making, I liked the idea of modifying multiple (9, maybe?) sets of cheap pliers, each to do a specialized job. He also ensured nice sharp bends by slipping a close fitting tube over the free end if the wire - I hadn't thought of that!

Ian
    All of the gear, no idea...

That is some clever use of off the shelf tools. With the likes of Harbor Freight around and the very inexpensive stuff you can get there, stuff like this becomes worth doing even for a relatively small number of parts. I have a small box of cheapo tools that I keep around for just such things. I don't dig into to it all that often, but every once in a while it's really handy to bend an old screwdriver or weld a socket into some odd configuration to get something done.

Comment

That is very clever. I did have to slow the video down. I was getting dizzy trying to keep up with all the operations.

Comment

I made one about 6-7 years ago after seeing a YT video. It's the one for making the dog-leg or "Z" in Briggs & Stratton control cables and wires. I used it a few times then misplaced it. Or it walked away. It was handy.

Comment

Rich,

Until I saw your post, I hadn't realized that I *could* slow the video down (right click - Play Speed)

Thanks for that!

Ian
          All of the gear, no idea...

Comment

That's clever, I used a diamond file to put a diagonal groove in one jaw of a pair of pliers to grip the brake return springs on my last car which had rear drum brakes. It helped my arthritic fingers manage the springs.

Comment

Great ideas - now I know what to do with at least some of those worn out ball bearings I haven't been able to bring myself to discard.
              "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

Might be very clever, but I almost puked watching the video.

metalmagpie

Comment

Originally posted by metalmagpie View Post
                  Might be very clever, but I almost puked watching the video.

metalmagpie
                  Why?

Comment

Working...
                  X