Firing Pin Breakage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firing Pin Breakage

I made two firing pins for my 1907 Dreyse. I made one out of 1090 drill rod and one out of 4340. I did not heat treat either one. I thought they would be strong enough as they were. Both of them on the first shot! I was still able to fire the gun with the pin broken. They both broke in different places. Any help would be greatly "Appreciated".
    Thanks,
    Terryt
    Terryt

used to harden & draw to a blue (570 or so) when useing drill rod ....cant remember working on that pistol , but why an un hardened pin would break escapes me ..pin protrusion????..maybe bend /mush..shud not fracture unless hardened & not drawn back enuf!

best wishes
    docn8as
    docn8as

Comment

Terry,
      Try again using mild steel and case harden very deep with Kasenit or like product.

------------------
      Mike in Michigan
      Mike in Michigan

Comment

Anyone tried Titanium pins? I broke a pin in my superposed Browning 12 gauge trap gun, and due to there being a shortage of pins for the Liege Brownings (they're different enough to the Citori Brownings to matter, and they cost an arm an a leg when you do find a gunsmith with one!), I made one out of Ti614, been good as gold for 4 years now.

Comment

I have made several fireing pins of titanium and have had no problems.

------------------
          Paul G.
          Paul G.

Comment

Working...
          X