Tool handle inspiration?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tool handle inspiration?

Can anyone either point me at web page or post some of their own work as inspiration please? I need to make a handle for a tool I've made and could do with some design inspiration.

The tool is pretty basic, just a straight rod turned down to a diameter at the end. It's to stick in the hole in the edge of my collet chuck to hold it still while I tighten/loosen the collet nut. No, there's no spindle lock.

Was thinking of turning something prettier than just the end of the bar as a handle but having trouble finding any images for inspiration. Best I've found so far is this in wood:
    http://ornamentalroseengine.com/rose...ry/knurl02.php

Cheers guys.

A wooden or other file handle works nicely, though not as pretty as the one in the link.

Comment

I don't have a photo handy, but a section of bar turned down a bit and wrapped with paracord makes for a pretty decent grip that does not look too bad, if not super fancy. Paracord comes in all sort of colors these days as well, if you care to get fancy. It's easily and cheaply replaced if it gets beat up or otherwise damaged. Lots of examples to be found around the web.

Comment

Might find something here.
        https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...es&FORM=HDRSC2

Comment

Handle beading tool

I needed to add beading to a handle for a kitchen pot for a daughter-in-law. I bought a 3/6" beading tool from Woodcraft. The 1/4" shaft fit my engine lathe's 4-place tool post. On 1" hard maple dowel in the lathe, I had perfect control for position and depth for multiple cuts. I intended it to be one off, and am selling the beading tool. https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/h...914956145.html
          But, now that I see the example with knurling, I may keep it and try using my lathe's knurling tool on handles as well.

Ken

Comment

Originally posted by Cenedd View Post
            Best I've found so far is this in wood:
            I like that one. You know how it goes from here right? 3 years of building a rose engine to make a collet chuck pin

Comment

knurl some aluminum or brass round stock???

Comment

As Toolguy mentioned file handles work good,the one in pic will except 5/16NF thread it tapered so I ground bolt down a bit to thread in tight.

Comment

I'm partial to something shaped like this.

Comment

Originally posted by Arcane View Post
                    I'm partial to something shaped like this.

Concur,
                    i also like a lot of the shapes of handles on pre war mills and lathes, from that art deco era.
                    Re the OP, have a look on the Lathes.co.uk website specifically looking at the older stuff. Some of the early SB tools had nice shaped handles/levers, let alone high end Monarchs etc.
                    My 2 Baht's worth...

Comment

This is the perfect opportunity to build a ball turner for your lathe if you don't already have one! Come on Man. It is nearly a law that if you build something really simple you have to build a tool to make a tool to build your final product. I think you can be banned from this site if you don't do it that way.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

[QUOTE=PStechPaul;1244378]Maybe consider using recycled plastic material to mold or machine such a handle:

Oh Yeah! That Technicolor frozen snot is so much more attractive than plain old Cocobolo or African Blackwood!

Comment

Originally posted by thaiguzzi View Post
                          Concur,
                          i also like a lot of the shapes of handles on pre war mills and lathes, from that art deco era.
                          Here's one I made for a Schaublin lever tailstock, an example of a nice handle (imo). Ones OEM, one's the one I made. I measured the existing (or pick one you like off another machine and scale it) to get a grid of the curves, turned steps, then manually turned using a large bore bar as a rest and an hss tool with zero top rake held in a vise grip - just like one would on a wood lathe. Hi tech set up, but it worked well. Making the rest of the lever, now THAT was a lot whittling! The second is straight forward AL handles, knurled. the last is another handle done manually, this one for a Levin lathe

Last edited by Mcgyver; 06-24-2019, 10:25 AM.

Comment

My favorite ,hardened ejector pins from die cast dies I also like hardened bearing balls .Ejecter pins have super slick and hard surface.Put them in a lathe and round over the head ,with a small disc grinder. They are very strong and wont ding up.Edwin Dirnbeck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Last edited by Edwin Dirnbeck; 06-24-2019, 09:53 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X