Wrought Iron Drilling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wrought Iron Drilling

Had to drill 1 inch diameter by two inch deep holes today in an unknown metal.
    It was a draw-bar off a farm tractor.
    probably over 60 years old.
    when I was drilling it ...it was strange .
    sort of chips then strings of metal repeatedly alternating.. all the way thru.
    is this an indication that I was drilling wrought iron.
    all the best..mark

Most of the drawbars I have drilled are hot forged bar,they do sometimes have alternating grain structure.

Most of the modern ones are flame hardened and will fool you.The outer skin is soft,but the center is hard and tough to drill.

The last one I drilled was off a 80's model Ford,it made some pretty sky blue chips
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

May be a "medium carbon" piece that was case hardened (which I see ou are not drilling the exterior), but in some of the older materials with med carbon, the process created hard spots in the material. 60 years back was just around WWII, so materials that were not for the war effort were a bit off for a while there, and many "civilian" use items wer made from recycled items as I remember from my steel mill history. Your qustion is important to me though.....

I have a piece of 140+ year old steel fom an old weather vane (was on a church dated late 1790,s, this is the second vane, placed as dated by pictures in the 1863 to 1865 years). 1.25 diameter, weather worn and pitted slightly, and I am just waiting for the proper time to use this metal in a very "honored" project - not just a "thing". Four feet of it. I have had his for ten years now.......

Your questions answer intrigues me because of this, hoping for more input here....
      CCBW, MAH

Comment

I don't think true wrought iron has been made in any quantity for probably close to 150 years. Tho there probably are still some hobbiests still dabbling in it.

I seem to remember this topic was kicked around 2 or 3 years ago.

A search of the archives produced this interesting link, if anyone's interested:
        http://www.realwroughtiron.com/

[This message has been edited by lynnl (edited 09-26-2004).]

Comment

Working...
        X